1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I leave home or no?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by skip, Nov 25, 2015.

1. skip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, at my house (I live with my mom and my little brother), my mom has always been a little insensitive, and she tends to pick on people, but it was never as bad as it's gotten since I came out as trans. Now, she is constantly telling me that I'm not good enough, or that I'm a bad person, or that I need to be more like other people. Any time anything goes wrong, she blames me for it, like when she told me I ruined Christmas, or how she blames me for the fact that my 9 year old brother can't read, or when she drops a plate and then tells me it's my fault. She also makes fun of me for being trans, and encourages my brother to do the same. When I asked her to stop she simply said "It's funny when I do it," and continued to do it. She also won't get me health insurance, and she goes through all of my mail. Whenever I get mail, she opens it, reads it, and then decides whether or not to give it to me, and she goes through any social media she knows that I have, reads all of my texts and forbids me from talking to certain people. She once screamed at me for so long that my brother sobbed himself to sleep at the dining room table and she had to wake him up because she wasn't done yet. She criticizes my brother while he's doing his reading and writing, and will take it from him and refuse to let him do it, or make him do it over and over if he's "not doing it right." I once pulled most of the muscles in my chest and had trouble breathing for weeks on end, but she refused to take me to the doctors, saying that I was "just being whiny." I've talked to the school nurse about signing up for health insurance, and she's working on finding a way to get me insurance without my mom's permission, but really the only way to do that is if I wasn't living with my mom, if I was homeless or sleeping at a friends house most of the time. I haven't told the nurse or counselor much of this, because my friend Kelly had a similar situation, and the nurse got CPS involved, and I don't want that because my mom would be pissed. I'm not sure what to do anymore, and I've been considering leaving for a while, but I'm not sure if I should go or not.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Could I ask you to consider where your brother would go if you left home?

Sorry I haven't got much to say, but I think this might help.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Could I ask you to consider where your brother would go if you left home?

Sorry I haven't got much to say, but I think this might help.

4. skip

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't really considered it, but I know he wouldn't want to go with me. I assume that he would just stay at home?

5. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This situation is terribly abusive. Can I ask you why you wouldn't want CPS to be involved? (Other than the fact that your mother would be "pissed"). Also, how old are you? I know that CPS and foster homes and such are very tricky, but is it really good for you and your brother to stay with your mother like this? If you are at an age where you can leave, then I think you should, but I would be worried about your mother becoming even more abusive towards your brother who is left there.

It might also help to contact your local LGBT hotline or groups to discuss these issues with them. They can probably support you with more practical local information.