1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accuracy Of Instincts?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Contact1111, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a question that maybe doesn't even belong on this site, since it isn't exactly related to sexuality specifically. It's more of a broader point about the validity of trusting one's instincts about people. To be honest, since I was a teenager and beyond, I got very bad vibes from my family. A couple times they lost their cool and said some mean and scary sounding things, but despite an overall positive track record of behavior I just didn't trust them at all when it came to something of significance like this. Honestly, I felt quite scared of them in general, and we didn't really get along well. I felt that they were certainly going to pose a very serious problem in my life, should I ever decide to opt for disclosure on my sexuality. I was almost certain that they would withdraw financial support and probably even avoid contact, at least for the most part. However, when I actually did disclose, things did not really go too bad at all. It was actually a neutral to possibly even ultimately somewhat supportive reaction. It has been this way with a lot of other things that have come up in recent years, and despite having made it into adulthood, the things I would've expected to happen didn't. Obviously, I am glad about this. However, part of me just wonders how such a strong instinct could possibly be wrong? I'm obviously very glad, but it makes me kind of doubt my gut instincts a bit. After I've described things to my therapist, he seemed to think that my feelings that I've had about my family has also been off base. I kind of wonder now how and when to really trust my instincts on things? I kind of wonder if I've been wrong about some things with other people, as well. Maybe some of the feelings and impressions I have gotten about friends and other people that I've encountered have been wrong, as well sometimes? It's kind of confusing when you have such a powerful feeling that ends up getting proven wrong. Obviously, in this case it was a good thing, but it has really made me question the way I look at the world in general.

#1 Contact1111, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015