1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get over someone not worth your love?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Counting Stars, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Counting Stars

I'm a Malaysian Chinese. Now living in Sydney
    I just found out that my crush (he's gay btw) and every single aspect that I thought of him as perfect, is actually someone with a really bad temper and couldn't listen to other people's opinions and learn from his mistakes and thinks he is always right and he has been lying to me about how he truly feels about me.

I admit I feel a bit disappointed, but rather surprisingly I feel more relieved than ever. I know I won't be wasting anymore time on this guy although the times we spent before were indeed, precious and one of my happiest days. Because I can finally move on and find someone better out there. I think he is not worthy to be loved and to love me.

However, how do I really get over him? I mean, he did gave me a lot of good times, and I won't forget that. But the true side of him is really out of my league, he's totally not the one I thought he would be.

2. ZenDreamer

Time heals all. (At least, this is what I tell myself).

I am in a similar situation as you. In fact, the guy you speak of sounds oddly like the guy I'm trying to get over as well.

The fact that you feel relieved over having realized his shortcomings do not mesh with your expectations is a blessing in disguise. This enables you the ability to get over him. It's difficult, though. Thankfully, memories are just that. The past, which we may reflect on and cherish, are days gone by and will never come to be. So you are safe to move on without repercussion, because if those memories are precious to you, they will remain as such, and the longing you feel can and will be replaced by the love of another.

Patience and perseverance prevails all. :slight_smile:

#2 ZenDreamer, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. It will take a little bit of time, but it will pass.

4. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's what you do:

You stop trying to escape the pain and face it instead, in all its horrible agony. You learn how to love yourself and take the necessary steps. It won't stop the hurt. It will help you get through it and you'll emerge stronger on the other side.

5. Hopeful

I had a couple of fun nights with a girl this past winter. I knew she wasn't in it for more than to have fun a couple of times, but I still had a really hard time getting over it. Especially when she got back together with her ex boyfriend.

Surprisingly, I got over her after a little while. I wanted her for quite a while but things eventually shifted and now we're friends and nothing more but it works for us.

I'm just now dealing with a guy I was with for a short amount of time who didn't tell me he had a fiance and I found out recently. I hate it because I really liked the guy and obviously nothing more is going to happen between us. I'm mad at him for making me feel this way and for betraying his girlfriend like that.

I keep telling myself I'll be okay in a few months. You will be, too!

6. Sytry

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with all of the above, it'll pass with time whether you want it or not, even if at the moment it might feel like that's impossible. What's really important & what will make the process quicker is that you learn to stop spending time on him in any way you might in your daily life, which includes checking his social media sites if you do, and also includes thinking about him in any way. I'm not telling you to force yourself to think about something else as soon as he comes up, I'm just saying if you find yourself still daydreaming about him from time to time you should gently tell yourself that you're wasting your time. Otherwise it'll just take longer because he'll still be in your thoughts slowing you down.