1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Relationship Years

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OnTheHighway, Nov 29, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it that when people talk about gay relationship years it is compared to dog years? I am not sure if I can even argue or debate this given the gay relationships I have been in both as an adolescent and more recently as an adult. But it seems gay relationships progress so much faster than straight relationships (having experienced both). Are gay guys just too picky, demanding and close minded? Or am I being too cynical?

#1 OnTheHighway, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard this and I'm actually not sure what it's meant to mean. Are you saying that gay relationships are more short lived than straight ones? I don't think I agree with that. I guess it could mean that gay people are sort of "all in" for a relationship faster than straight people. I think there is some truth to that. But I think it has more to do with the closet than it does with being gay. Gay people have generally given more thought and frankly sacrificed more for the chance to have a real relationship than their straight cohorts so I think there is a certain extra desire to rush in.

I'm not sure I really addressed the question because it's not an idiom I've heard used in this context. If it means something different let me know.

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid I cannot make a comparison to straight relationships, so I'm maybe not best placed to answer, but I don't think you are being too cynical either. I think some gay guys are picky and close minded and it saddens me to see it. There seems to be an unwillingness of the part of some to persevere and really work at building a meaningful relationship that will bring so much depth and stability to their lives, despite their stated intentions. When the going gets tough, or even a little less exciting, they're off.

I don't know if that's what you were driving at OnTheHighway, but it's just my personal observation. Again, I can't make the comparison between straight and gay relationships but I'm sure it happens in some straight relationships too, but maybe not to the same extent. I don't know.

Apologies for all of the emphasis on "some", but I know how easily people skim over comments and miss the detail.

4. CameOutSwinging

Growing up with lesbian aunts who were essentially my parents, I know many of their friends and that includes a lot of gay men and couples. It's funny to me because the couples have been together for years and years (my aunts, though I think lesbians may be different in this regard, have been together almost four decades) while the single guys have pretty much always been single. It's one of those little things I've noticed.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that it worries me sometimes that if I enter the gay dating world, I'll end up as just another of the guys who is single most of the time. I know a few guys around my age, one who I hooked up with back in college, who are still quite single. And he's been openly gay forever. Shoot I would be lying if I didn't say I would give him a call (or a social media message) if I were single.

But then again, I also know a guy who has been with his partner for 9 years. And is in his 50s. Which means they met later in life. That gives me a feeling of hope.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PatrickUK: "When the going gets tough, or even a little less exciting, they're off" seems to be my impression.

Relationships are always hard, the best ones are. I need to meet more couples in long term relationships and get their perspective how to make it more manageable!

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PatrickUK: "When the going gets tough, or even a little less exciting, they're off" seems to be my impression.

Relationships are always hard, the best ones are. I need to meet more couples in long term relationships and get their perspective how to make it more manageable!