1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the boundaries of a friendship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Linus, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hesitant to say this, because someone I know might read, but, simply put,

What would be logical boundaries for a friendship? Non romance related, I mean. I get that everyone has different boundaries, and that what upsets me might not upset someone else, and vice versa. But someone said to me-- "If you did ____, I would stop being your friend." While I can completely understand why they would be super upset if I actually did said thing(because I was kidding) I know that they weren't kidding when they said they would stop being friends with me. I feel like they went to an extreme. kind of like saying, "If you cause me to be temporarily without my access to daily comforts, I'll never be your friend again." Which, as said before, I can really understand that they would be pissed about something like that, and I would never actually do that... But I think breaking our friendship over that would definitely be extreme and I'm really... Disappointed, because I thought our friendship was stronger than that.

Now I'm not sure how good of friends we actually are.
    Any advice?

2. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They might think that you doing that invalidates your claim at friendship. Just like how you said "maybe we aren't really friends" they might have thought the same thing. If you did that thing then maybe you two might not REALLY be friends and they might be better off without you. So I wouldn't worry about it. No biggie

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well that's reassuring. FYI we've been besties for years. Years! And while I can see that perspective of things, if I think about it, it's exactly the kind of thing they would do to me; joking and all that. I'd just like to think that our friendship is worth more than an app on an iPad. Does that makes sense? Helpful app or not... It's still just an app. Cause that's what this was about.

4. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think it is then you are probably right. I say it a lot but it is a typically boyish thing to do: to think someone is upset about what you are fighting over. It is usually much deeper and more understandable. You just have to think about it. Have compassion :wink:

5. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you are right, and I should be more understanding... None the less, I feel that put a crack in our friendship. I'm not even that upset, because it was inevitable, really. And we're still friends, I think. Just... Not as good of friends as I hoped... Just a weird feeling, like it's finally kicking in how little he cares. He does care... Just not enough is what I mean. I probably can't change that. And sorry for rambling. Sort of feeling down. Not sad, just down. :frowning2:

6. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ♡ I really am sorry. :frowning2: