1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this feeling go away or ruin my relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nikki K, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Nikki K

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for over a year and a half now and I love him to pieces. But I have a problem - over the past few months I feel like I am becoming more attracted to women and less attracted to men (I have always been attracted to women but never as much as this). It almost feels like when I am with my boyfriend <I>intimately</I> I would rather be with a woman and it is seriously interfering with my sex life. Intimacy with him occurs less often now because my sexual desire for him feels like it is deteriorating as my physical attraction to women is growing although I am still in love him as a person as much as I ever have. I am still physically attracted to him too just not as much as I used to be.

Could somebody please give me some advice on what to do? Do you think this is something that will go away, stay the same or just get worse as time goes by? If anyone has any personal experiences with a similar problem I would really appreciate your input.

Thank you!

2. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should tell him that you're dealing with some personal issues, and that you need to take a break in your relationship even though you still love him; tell him that you need to figure some things out.

You need to take some time and figure out what you truly want and what will make you happy; don't rush with this, take as much time as you need.

3. pestjohnbuda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think dopplershift94 has a good point here, maybe you should take some time for yourself to see where you want to go. Possibly you find out that you want to start something with a girl, but it could very well be that you miss your boyfriend and that it was all a mistake. I think that you know your boyfriend best and how he would react, but I think theres nothing wrong with taking a step back to see what you want. :slight_smile:

4. vinylcountdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Nikki I hope my personal experiences of the last week can maybe help you with your situation.

So I actually just broke up with my boyfriend of 1 and a half years for very similar reasons. The Romance ( and attraction ) Just wasn't there for me, and I constantly felt guilty about not being able to love him the way he deserved to be loved. He was my best friend before our relationship, and my absolute greatest fear was him hating me, or not understanding the issue. We always had a habit for fighting and bickering with each other, more so towards the end of the relationship but it left serious issues in our relationship that we both just ignored.

For the last 5 months of our relationship I tried so hard to rekindle the passion I had for him earlier, but attraction isn't something you can just muster unfortunately. In the end I just wasn't happy with our relationship anymore, and I wanted what was best for my friend. I just came to accept that I couldn't be the guy he deserved because I wasn't attracted to him ( sounds shallow I know, but attraction is intrinsic to a relationship IMO). So I ended it, were actually still friends and both handling it better than expected.

I'm not saying to end your relationship. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel like a lessening of attraction to your partner over time is weird or wrong. And if you feel like you cant bring back that spark you had in the beginning ( like I did) than taking a break/ ending might be the best route to take.

As for will these feelings get better over time, mine got worse unfortunately. I think romance is something that is hard to repair when it gets broken, but definitely can be done with good communication.

Oh and if you do decide to end/ take a break. tread carefully on the subject of attraction, people don't undertand sometimes that your feelings towards them our subjective, and might think your saying he is not an attractive person. ( just my two cents)

Sorry for the long post lol. Anyways best of luck Nikki!