1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing a loved one and confusion about something new

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by zzzero, Dec 2, 2015.

1. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been on this site in a very long time but I'm back with some really awful news. I have written about my now ex boyfriend before on this site. We dated for three years and were insanely close. We did everything together and that's why things started to go south for us. We were TOO in love with eachother and had somewhat of a co-dependent relationship. Well we broke up about a year and a half ago. Talked a bit at the beginning of the breakup, tried to hang out and be friends, but obviously that didn't really work out. So we stopped talking for about 6 months until I got a random text from him saying "Tell me honestly, are you happy?" And the truth was that I had done a LOT of work to get through our breakup and though I still REALLY wanted him back, I wasn't going to beg more than I already had. I told him that being happy was something I work on every single day, but generally I am happy. That's when we started talking again and became really good friends again. He lost his job and fell back into drugs (he had just come out of rehab when we met). His drug of choice was Heroin, but he was also messing with a bunch of random benzos that you can buy online. He hated that he used but he felt so anxious and out of control all the time and felt it was the only thing that could change that for him. He wanted to stop really badly so I walked him through withdrawals and tried to talk him into getting help so many times. I would come to his house and clean up all the needles with him and make a plan for getting him better. We spent a lot of time together because he just needed someone to be there so he wouldn't use. He needed someone he could sit and talk to and laugh with. So that's what we did. Every time he slipped up, I approached him with compassion and told him to just keep trying to do better. He was always so sorry that he disappointed me. Unfortunately, on October 5th, while I was in DC for my friend's wedding, he passed away due to a heroin overdose. I am so completely devastated by the loss. He meant so so so much to me and I can't even express in words the unconditional love he and I had for eachother. I miss him more than I think I'll ever miss anything. He was my favorite person in the whole world. We ended every physical meeting with a hug, and every conversation ended in "I love you and I miss you so much." I think things could have worked out but we both knew that it wouldn't be fair if I he wasn't in the right place with his addiction. I've been feeling incredibly empty and trying to use the energy I have built up to do something about it at the gym. Distracting myself with work and friends and fun stuff, which feels like the right thing to do, but I also just miss him so much. He was an enormous part of my life and showed me love and connection in a way that I think is very rare. We were ALWAYS there for eachother. We had a very deep bond and completely unconditional love.

I'm trying to get in shape because that's a goal I always had while he was alive but wasn't able to meet, but i'm getting discouraged now because i'm not seeing the results I want and I'm just really really really sad that he isn't here. I think I'm doing the right things to grieve, but nothing feels like enough. I just want that beautiful boy back in my life and back to the happy person he was when I met him. I can't believe I won't ever be able to have that again. I feel like I need him to be here and I just can't. I did a lot of researching into buddhist ideas of suffering after we broke up, and I know that I'm suffering with this because I so desperately want to change it. I just don't know how to accept that he's really gone forever. My heart is completely broken.

Posting this here seems like the right thing to do because all of you have been so much help to me in the past and I'm sure some of you will remember my posts about him while we were together. Things weren't always perfect between us, but we were still very much in love. How can I get past this?

To make matters more confusing. I have a HUGE crush on my friend. We met a good 7 months after my ex and I broke up. Hooked up a few times, almost dated, but never really talked about anything and he became one of my best friends. I've always had a huge crush on him but now I'm feeling it very full-force. He knows about this whole situation and what I'm going through right now, and he's been there for me. We have a very natural connection and I always just feel SUPER comfortable with him. He's also not someone who needs me, like my ex was. He's stable in his own life in the same way that I am with mine. He hits all of the criteria I have for a boyfriend. I really want to talk to him about it, but I'm not sure when the right time is or even how to go about it.

2. ANerdWhoCares

Ive never been in a committed relationship like that, so theres not much help i can give in that regard.

However, for your own mental wellbeing, perhaps it would help to try and move on. Take the time you need to mourn your ex, and move on to greener pastures whenever you're ready.

Sorry for your loss, and i hope things get better. (*hug*)

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, let me say how sorry I am to hear your sad news. I'm sure it was devastating for you to hear that he had died in such a tragic way, especially after all of the times you'd attempted to help and support him to a better place. Even though I have experienced loss and grief myself, it's hard to imagine the pain you must surely feel right now. There is no doubt that you are suffering, but that's entirely reasonable and natural Taylor. It's only a few weeks since he died and when you loved and cared for someone as much as you did for him, it's bound to take time.

It's great that you are trying to do positive things and I would encourage you to keep at it and not get discouraged by the lack of results, but also try not to force more positivity into your life than is reasonable right now. As it stands, you seem to have a decent balance.

I can only say from experience that time does heal, but it's a gradual process that seems to follow a curve. You may feel as though you are getting better one day, but then you will have a bad day/week and feel as though you are back to square one. Right now, the healing hasn't really begun.

As far as your crush goes, I would be inclined to talk to him about relationships in a very general way to see where he stands. Ask him if he is looking for love, if he has anyone, or any type of person in mind and take it from there. If the conversation flows and seems to be moving in a positive direction, you could ask him then. My only question to you Taylor, is if you feel as though now is the right time? Do you think you are in the right place for a new relationship? That's not a leading question, by the way - just want to know how you feel yourself.