1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stop being friends with my best friend of 5 yrs?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SparklyTaco17, Dec 3, 2015.

1. SparklyTaco17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am in love with my best friend ... She is straight ( shocker -.- ) anyway I know I'll ultimately end up heartbroken if I stay her friend ik it will suck for her for me to cut off the friendship . I have a great and fun time with her when we hang out . But she talks about her boyfriend to much and she said they are getting serious ... I can't stop being jealous . Its already tearing me apart so I don't know how much longer I can deal with it . I know it's not her fault . But this friendship is killing me and that's probably not how friendship should be . So would it be better just to call off the friendship ? btw she's the only friend I really have but I'm kind of a loner anyway so it doesn't matter .

2. Distant Echo

No. Don't call it off. As much as it sucks, it will hurt more without her.
    You need to find a way to distract yourself from her. Look at other girls around you.
    And yes, aren't they always straight, damnit.

#2 Distant Echo, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  3. SparklyTaco17

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Thanks , I gues that's true ... Honestly I've tried to cut if off before I couldn't do it . Anyway yea it sucks they really are always straight or you know dating someone else . Anyway yea thanks .

4. dopplershift94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey OP,

I've been in your position before, I was in love with one of my straight friends too, and I also considered cutting the friendship because I thought I would never get over them if they were still in my life; I'm glad that I never did. I eventually got over him, and you will get over her too.
    You'll me someone else, you just have to be optimistic. :slight_smile:

5. baddech

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I say end it. I've been there done that, you're killing yourself on the inside. And setting yourself up for despression.

Yes it may suck for her- you ending the friendship, but like you already said you know, you will end up heartbroken if you remain her friend. So why postpone the inevitable? The friendship has already reached a critical juncture a point of no return.
    And her ending it will suck more for you. At this point you're already losing so who cares if she's a little heartbroken? In the end she lost nothing as remaining close friends with you would be very awkward for her if she doesn't have a mutual feeling and she'd probably still leave anyway. So do you rather her leave you or you leave her? Either way it doesn't seem likely the friendship has much fuel left considering you confided this here and not in her.

Good luck(*hug*)

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should just take a break. Breaking the friendship might be even worse than now because she'd probably feel bad and then you'd feel guilty. Please, consider it.

If it helps, I'm still friends with all of my crushes.