1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Anonymous, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Anonymous

My best friend and I both go to a magnet high school. We've been through a lot together - depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety. She was there for me when I got diagnosed with OCD, and we first came out to each other. I've loved her for a long time, but for the past six months, it's starting to feel like I'm IN love with her.

Like I said, we both go to a magnet high school, and recently, I decided to drop out because it was too stressful. My last day of school was yesterday and I stayed after school so we could hang out for a while. We were walking around the track and talking, and then she actually reached out and took my hand...for several minutes. We eventually let go, but later, she took my hand AGAIN...what does that mean?? Does she maybe like me back or am I reading into it too much?

I'm seeing her this Sunday for the last time until probably winter break...do you think I should tell her how I feel? I don't want to ruin our friendship, especially considering that I may not have a chance to repair it since we won't be seeing each other so much. And if I do tell her, how?? Should I just be like "I know you probably don't feel the same but I just need you to know that I like you in a very not friendly way," or something like that?

#1 Anonymous, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  2. treasure1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you both came out to each other and are best friends I say go for it. Just tell her and say you needed to get it off your chest, if she doesn't feel the same way atleast you won't see her for a while like you said until winter break and can hopefully try move on during that time.
    However, she may like you back, or she is just being a normal best friend and your reading into it too much..
    Either way good luck :slight_smile:

3. treasure1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you both came out to each other and are best friends I say go for it. Just tell her and say you needed to get it off your chest, if she doesn't feel the same way atleast you won't see her for a while like you said until winter break and can hopefully try move on during that time.
    However, she may like you back, or she is just being a normal best friend and your reading into it too much..
    Either way good luck :slight_smile:

4. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've also been in love with my best friend for the past six months. It's so annoying because girl friendships are often very physically intimate so it feels to me like I'm getting mixed signals. She said that if she had to choose anyone to marry it would be me, yet she's absolutely obsessed with the Backstreet Boys and how hot they are. WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!

I've been debating about whether to tell her or not too. Perhaps try and work out if she feels the same way about you. Ask her opinions on gay rights, see if she acts differently towards you than anyone else, stuff like that. Although I would advise you to not tell her unless you are absolutely sure she feels the same way or you think that keeping the secret is ruining your friendship. Telling her before the time is right could make the friendship awkward, so I'd say to wait a while.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. oliolioli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's so tricky to navigate female friendships. I'm sure that there are a million people on this site who can relate to your situation - I know that I'm one of them.

My best advice would be to try and stress about it as little as possible, and don't feel pressured by yourself into telling her. If, in the moment, you feel like you want to, then do it. But if you're getting the feeling that it's not yet the time, then don't do it. This can be a hard trap to fall into though - make sure you're not continuously waiting for the "perfect" moment to tell her, because it might not ever come, and then you've lost your chance.

I know a lot of people have regrets about not saying something or making a move when they have the opportunity, so if you genuinely think that it's there, then don't waste it.

Good luck!