1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commitment Phobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Ryuji35, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I came from a broken family and I seem to brush that episode in my life without scratch. Or so I thought. At first, I wanted to have a relationship, craving for one actually, but because I live in a place where Gays, although "accepted", still is a taboo in the society.

Now, I tend to love reading MM (Male to Male) Romance books lately then some of those stories involve a Father leaving their wives for another woman/family. I know this scenario is not new (I even experienced it) but I find myself DEEPLY affected by these stories in a personal way. So I tried searching about stories in regards to Wife Abandonment Sydrome, Divorces here and there, Infidelity, Broken Homes, Bitchy Mistresses etc etc. that as I go along and read further, I find myself being scared to go into a relationship anymore since nowadays, men (and women) seem cannot keep in in their pants and Monogamy and Commitment are a thing of the past.

I have never been in a relationship (I am in my mid 20s) and I dream of having a really good one, but now, I can't help but think that I might be having this "fairy tale" idea about relationship, and will be shocked that one day, my partner will just leave me too for another man or, will cheat on me. Actually, I don't care about the cheating part (if it's just sexual) but I am more paranoid with the emotional infidelity.

This is ruining my chances of having a good relationship. What should I do to stop thinking about these scenarios happening to me?!

2. dreamer2891

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

I feel very similar, and the truth is fantasy is always better than reality... but what's wrong with that? Be happy in what you do, and never place your happiness with someone else. Make your own happiness and your own perfect world! and then if you meet someone who wants to come along for the ride then great, but if not, you've still lived your life to the best with no compromises!

3. dreamer2891

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

I feel very similar, and the truth is fantasy is always better than reality... but what's wrong with that? Be happy in what you do, and never place your happiness with someone else. Make your own happiness and your own perfect world! and then if you meet someone who wants to come along for the ride then great, but if not, you've still lived your life to the best with no compromises!

4. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, we have the same "defense mechanism" then. But I want out and I don't know how...

5. dreamer2891

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i Found it useful to write down everything you want in a relationship, and separately what you don't want/like, and see which is longest? or which is more telling? I guess a start is to question why you don't want the bad things on the list. its all a balance, is a a relationship really worth it to (to you).

You also have to get out your head and away from fantasy, and be more in the moment. My Career is very Creative and art based, and my imagination is infinite, and I made a choice not to try and control that.... as it brings me so much richness in life... the negative payout is the disappointment with certain realities... which are just deal breakers for me.