1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules of bisexuality.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Secrets5, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Can bisexual people only date other bisexuals? Or can you date anybody else willing to have you? And if you're bisexual, well, what's the difference between that and pansexual?

Thank-you.

2. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Bisexuality means being attracted to men and women. This can apply romantically and sexually, and sometimes bi people like one gender more than the other. For instance, I have a friend who considers himself a biromantic homosexual (he's romantically attracted to both genders but only sexually attracted to men).

I have no experience in dating and social codes, but I don't see any reason why bi people can't date straight, gay or other bi people. Unfortunately there's a lot of stigma surrounding bisexual people because of ideas that they sleep around a lot, aren't committed and are actually gay or straight only and just 'won't pick a side', which are stereotypes and aren't true in all cases.

As for the difference between bi and pan, I've always wondered that myself, but I did some quick googling and from what I can gather, being bi is about being attracted to someone within the boy/girl gender binary, while pan people can be attracted to trans, intergender, agender or genderqueer people etc. Pan people can be attracted to any gender while bi people are restricted to cis boys and girls.

Again, I could be wrong about the bi/pan thing. It just seems like that from the conversations I've had and the googling I've done.

3. Distant Echo

There are no rules.

You date who you want to date. Don't let others outdated ideas control your life.

4. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexuality
    "Bisexuality is romantic attraction, sexual attraction, or sexual behavior toward both males and females, or romantic or sexual attraction to people of any sex or gender identity; this latter aspect is sometimes termed pansexuality."

Why wouldn't a bisexual be able to date other bisexuals?

5. robclem21

So.. about this... my question is, why not just label himself as gay in this instance. I don't quite understand why romantic attraction for someone with sex drive has made its way into our own classification system of sexuality. Would someone who is biromantic homosexual actually have a long-term, fulfilling relationship with a woman who he would never be sexually attracted to? Is this realistic or is your friend just complicating the notion that he is gay?

In my opinion being gay doesn't mean you are completely unattracted to women. It just means you don't want to have sex with them...

Interested to hear thoughts on this.

#5 robclem21, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rules? What rules?

No bisexuals don't only date other bisexuals, that would be exhausting. They can date anyone they're attracted to and is attracted to them back. I'm bisexual. My girlfriend is pansexual.

Bisexual: Attraction to two or more genders
    Pansexual: Attraction to individuals regardless of gender

Bisexuals and pansexuals can also have preferences. For instance, my girlfriend is definitely pan but she prefers to date women.

7. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I know from experience:
    Bisexuals are people that can feel romantic/sexual attraction towards men and women still, you can still be attracted to non-binary people, but you feel more attraction towards their female/male side.
    Pansexuals are people that can feel romantic/sexual attraction towards anyone, really they don't care about oneself gender identity. That's why most genderqueer/non-binary people are Pansexual, because they aren't familiar with these gender binary thing!

That's how I understand it, using my experience (I've got pan friends and bi friends,moth aware of the other definition)

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, listen to this wise person......

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2015 at 03:48 PM ----------

ok now that my moment of Cheek has passed:grin: Bi means 2 pick two genders, there are more than male/female. Pan means all, attraction to any gender.

i describe my orientation as Bi (Pan being part of the Bi-sexual spectrum) but explain it as; while everyone appreciates a pretty wrapper, the real prize is on the inside. the heart, the soul, the intellict, IE: the person. but i still consider myself Bi because male, female, trans man, trans women et all are just lables that we put on packages, not on people.

hope this helps.