1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend's strange response to me being gay

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mlansing, Dec 7, 2015.

1. mlansing

So I have this friend whom I have known for quite a few years now. I was anxious about coming out to him, but then I brought around this guy I was seeing and the guy was being very obvious about the fact that we were together. My friend, however, did not ask me about it later, and it seems that he's in denial about the whole thing even because he insists on still talking about hot girls and things like that. He'll even make mean jokes about gay people around me, too.

I don't know if this is his way of trying to dissuade me from being gay or something, but it's starting to me make feel like I need to tip-toe around the issue of being gay around him and frankly it's making me feel like shit. I think I just need to confront him and say something to the effect of "I'm gay" or "I'm dating guys now," but I just hate that I feel backed into a corner like this by him. I'm starting to wonder if he's really that good of a friend at all, but maybe he just doesn't know how to deal with this. Any thoughts?

2. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: My friend's strange response to me being ga

My mom did the same. They don't understand how to react, and they also think that they can do everything else the same. (My mom always refers to me with a HUSBAND, while I would prefer to have a WIFE. Also she never has referenced that I like girls and such, even if I have "came out" to her as pan twice..."

Just make him remember that you don't like girls, you like guys. Also a little "he's hot" stuff helps a lot, trust me, it did with my friends!

3. mlansing

Good advice, thanks :slight_smile:

4. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem hope this helps :icon_wink

5. mlansing

I finally just came out and told my friend that I dated a guy and that I'm in the midst of figuring everything out, and he was supportive of me! Go figure, haha. I feel a lot better now :slight_smile:

6. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well done! Congrats!!