1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a coward.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RavenTheRat, Dec 9, 2015.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I broke up with my boyfriend over text. I deserve to punched in the stomach till I bleed.

I have anxiety.. and asperger's... I know that it wasn't within my abilities to break up with him face-to-face. But I still feel like the scum of the earth...

Has anyone else ever.... dealt with this?

2. Onceupona

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I broke up with my ex twice over text. You're definitely not alone.

---------- Post added 9th Dec 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

I also have anxiety, which can make it harder. Try to forgive yourself :slight_smile: And strive to do better tomorrow. The past is in the past, what makes up for it is how we act in the future.

3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for your words, they helped ease my heart a lot <3
    I know I need to forgive myself. I just.... well, there's one thing that helps I guess. I'm hoping he won't feel to bad about himself because I broke up with him due to discovering my sexuality truly doesn't encompass men, and he had nothing to do with it.... Really, thank you so much <3 I feel better, I truly do.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a good way to break up with someone, I cannot deny that, but you did need to be honest with him one way or another. In the end you did the right thing, even if the method wasn't the best. When you struggle with anxiety it's hard enough to just follow through with the decision to break up. Yes he will be hurt, but he would be even more hurt if you'd strung it out and continued to allow him to believe something that wasn't true.

5. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know it isn't the best way.... But thank you.

In all honesty, I've never broken up with anyone OR been in a relationship before this. And the problem is, with my Asperger's, I often say things that, in my head, don't sound hurtful, but actually are. Add that to the fact that extreme levels of emotion cause me to shut down and cut myself off from everything, and you've got a messy situation. Through text I could think about what I was saying, and make sure I was saying the right thing. Text isn't a good way to break up... I knew that. But I also knew that with this particular person it was the only way I wouldn't have a panic attack or hyperventilate just thinking about it.

As for the last part, that was my main motivation... I didn't want to lie and lead him on. We'd only been together for a month, and I figured it would be easier now than three months later.

Still... I would never do it again. In all honesty, that's the only reason I haven't started scratching at my face or hitting myself with something.
    I don't know why but... it was THIS situation. This particular person. That made me feel like, for me, there was no other way to do it.

Thank you so much for your words :slight_smile:

#5 RavenTheRat, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. Onceupona

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Try to remind yourself that the break up will benefit him, he'll be able to be with someone who has mutual feelings for him. Even if it takes awhile for him to find someone. And your own happiness matters as well. You did the right thing. :slight_smile: I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. Please don't physically beat yourself up about it either. If you need someone to talk to, message me.