1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

relationships and social anxiety

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Boudicca, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never been in a relationship (or been on a date, kissed anyone, etc.), and I'm almost 24. I have social anxiety, so I have a pretty hard time talking to new people. To make things more difficult, I'm not really comfortable with letting people know I'm gay. A few close friends know, but it takes me a while to be comfortable enough with someone to come out. Meeting and approaching people is nearly impossible for me because of the anxiety already. I'm not desperate for a relationship, but I would like one some day. With being closeted to most people and having anxiety, the chances of me actually finding someone and ending up in a relationship are just really slim, so I feel like it will never happen.

Is there anyone here who has managed to find a relationship while dealing with social anxiety disorder? How did you find someone?

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have social anxiety and, like you, it makes it very difficult for me to approach people, especially ones that I have a crush on. In retrospect, that's probably why I've only dated people that I was friends with first.

I knew my girlfriend online for four years before we finally started dating. It soothed my nerves a bit that we would message for hours so I knew we'd be able to have things to talk about in person. I was only out to myself when she confessed her feelings to me.

Maybe you could talk to your friends who know and ask them if there's anyone they could introduce you to? Then it might help for you to hang out with them and your friends in a group setting to remove some of the pressure from you.

3. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the response. I might try online dating. I can talk to people over the internet.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask my friends. I don't know why, but when it comes to talking about romantic relationships, I get really awkward and embarrassed. It's irrational, and I'm sure my friends would be happy to help, but I just feel too weird about it.