1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to family..?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GhostCake, Dec 12, 2015.

1. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So i'd really like to come out to the rest of my family so they will stop saying i'd look better with long hair like a "pretty girl" and especially to stop them from calling me by my birth name. That really hurts like wow ouch.

Problem is, i'm not sure if they'd take it good or not. Mom already offered to carefully talk with them about a similar theme and see how they will react...do you think this is a good idea or do you have a better one?

I'm also really afraid they'll say things like; "I'd understand if you were trans..but agender? What is that even? Does that even exist?"

Also since i hate using labels..would it be understandable if i said i'm a person and not a girl/woman or could that possibly confuse them?

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to do what's true to you. If you feel safe and ready to come out, I say do it!

I'll be honest, people may be confused. People like binary, simple categories. I worried the same thing about coming out as bi.

The thing is, it doesn't matter whether they're confused. You can educate them. Share your feelings about your identity. Just do your best and represent yourself the way that feels most authentic. They may have trouble grasping it, but you can only do whatever you can to express who you are and let others catch up when they're ready.