1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Wanting This To Work Out Realistic?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Contact1111, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've come out..... and the reaction was okay at first. Things didn't erupt and turn dysfunctional and angry right away like I was expecting would happen.... but a tone of judgment definitely has reared it's ugly head from time to time. Basically, it goes like this...... things seem fine, my parents will say that they love and accept me regardless. They say that they want me to love and accept myself.... things seem good. Then, somehow I say something and they start asking me stereotypical questions..... how I couldn't be committed, etc. I explain to them why that's not the case...... things start to seem good. I get frustrated and ask them if they'd ever not speak to me because of this (I have a habit of doing that with things, and it annoys them). My Mom starts saying, "We'll be dead someday"..... basically not wanting to answer as she often does. Then, she says "Is it really the most important thing if your parents speak to you or not?" Then, just before I decide to say the hell with this whole relationship, she tells me that she always would.... but she's frustrated I keep asking this stuff. Then, I think I might be in the clear and I go upstairs to overhear what might be more major bullshit. My Dad asks my Mom why she always acts 'vague' when I ask that stuff, and she basically says that I ask all the time and she is annoyed. Then, my Dad asks her why she was acting like there was uncertainty in whether they would speak to me. I'm pretty sure I heard my Mom say, "well there would be". Sometimes, she says that she is uncertain about these questions, because she doesn't know what is going to happen in the future in terms of whether or not they will still be around (they are older people). So, I don't know maybe it was that.... or maybe this is wishful thinking. Later on, my Dad asks it again while I was around wanting me to be reassured. Then, I hear my Mom yelling up the stairs in a frustrated way..... There's uncertainty in life. Finally, I come down and they tell me that they would never stop speaking to me..... my Mom says the same thing.... and they have "assured" me of this several times. My Dad also says that she didn't even say "there would be" uncertainty and that she said "there wouldn't be". Then, I somehow say something else that makes them these things again of a stereotypical nature.... the stereotypical, annoying questions come back again. Sometimes, they make really infuriating comments like when my Mom wondered if I was just "trying" this to get a rise out of them and that in combination with various problems that I have (which are real things) that this makes her feel like it's all "hopeless". Fast forward to after that.... I explain some more things and my Mom says of it "that all sounds good". Basically, in my explaining to them I said that I had feelings for some of my friends..... and that I probably would have acted on them if it felt like the right thing for me at the time. She says to that "that all sounds good". It sounds accepting, but I thought they were accepting before..... and then they started going into the old bombardment of stupid questions. I don't know what to do now, should I continue to "give them a chance" or am I setting myself up for trouble. I don't want to find myself thinking that I have a "supportive" family only to find myself getting a surprise disownment about something..... or just have things keep going back and forth with bullshit over and over. I'm torn between sticking on board and thinking that things will work out...... and just removing myself. I don't know, what does everyone think, should I continue to stick it out..... or am I just setting myself up for more pain, dysfunction, and bullshit. They say that they accept me, but some of this has just been such a pain to deal with. I also wouldn't want to start trusting them, and then have my trust shattered by them refusing to speak to me or turning completely hostile all of a sudden. They say that they love and accept me regardless and that they want me to feel the same about myself, but some of the behavior has certainly seemed less than accepting. I'm amazed and initially wanted to just be glad when my Mom said "that all sounds good" when I explained things more regarding how I liked some of my friends and would consider being with them like that..... but then again with all the questions that have been asked and the things that happened..... I don't know what to believe anymore. I do know that I'd really love to be able to live authentically without having to worry about losing my family, and maybe I will be able to. I just feel like I have been through the ringer with the questions, the bullshit, and the stereotypes being spouted.

2. HeraldofSithis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You seem to be upset or confused about how they're behaving towards you. When you first came out, they didn't react in any bad way, which you liked. However it seems like your parents, your mum especially, seem to be more affected by this than they initially let on.
    On one hand, they tell you that they still love you and accept who you are, yet on the other they hold you to certain stereotypes that aren't true, such as you not being able to commit to a relationship. One moment they support you, the next they're not very supportive at all.
    Firstly, I'd say don't always ask them about whether or not they'll still speak to you. As you said, you get frustrated, hence why you ask, but as you mentioned in the post, when you overheard her and your dad talking after you'd gone upstairs, she said "that I ask all the time and she is annoyed". It seems like that may be a contributing factor to why she is behaving like this, she could be feeling tired of the same questions all the time.
    Secondly, I think that you need to sit them both down and tell them how you're feeling. From what I've seen for some people, coming out is only the first stage, moving on afterwards and adjusting to your new life is a crucial part too. Ask them to tell you how they really feel, because unless their true thoughts are brought to light, this cycle will only continue. To end it you have to talk about how each side is going to move forwards. Make sure that you voice your own concerns in this conversation. Tell your mum that you don't understand why she's both warm and cold towards you and how it's affecting you. Mention the stereotypes they keep telling you about which don't fit you at all.
    I wouldn't give up on them and I doubt that they'd disown you just like that. They're probably struggling with accepting you for who you are. Definitely have that talk as soon as possible, though. It's putting a lot of stress on you all.
    Keep us updated on how it goes(*hug*)