1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Etranged mother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by crazydiamond, Dec 14, 2015.

1. crazydiamond

I moved out of my mother's house around 6 months ago, on bad terms not long after I came out. It wasn't necessarily because she's anti-gay, but she's always been very judgmental and emotionally abusive. We went a while without talking when I moved out. When I came out she ignored me and to this day hasn't asked me the first question about my girlfriend or my sexuality at all. Two weeks ago I had a Friendsgiving get-together and she texted me asking to go to the candy cane parade with her and my nephew on the same day that the party fell on. So I had to say no, and then she again texted me today saying that my nephew wants to see me this weekend, which happens to be my first anniversary with my girlfriend. I don't want to say no again, so I might go see her on Sunday (the anniversary is on Saturday).

The thing that bothers me is that both times she asked, she only said that my nephew misses me and wants to see me. He's 6 and he was actually kind of indifferent to my existence the last few months before I moved out. I'm wondering if it's really him or she's just refusing to admit that she just wants to see me. But I live kind of out of the way, and my girlfriend wants to drive me and come along because she's never met my mother. I think she has every right to come along because I wouldn't have her drive me and then tell her to go away for a few hours. I also feel like I need an easy way to get out if she does something that upsets me. But it all just feels so awkward. Do I ask if she wants to meet my girlfriend or just bring her along without saying anything? I don't know if my mom has some aversion to meeting her because she won't talk about it. I'm just nervous all around and I'm not sure what to do. I haven't answered her text yet.