1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oookie dokie. So if you guys remember, I posted a couple days back I broke up with my bf. Luckily we're still good friends, and he moved on SUPER quick. He's got a date tommorow (go figure).
    Anyway, he told me that this girl I have a huge crush on also has a huge crush on me. I really want to ask her out, but there's a problem- my parents. I tried to come out to my mom, and she got really upset. Not angry, not disown-you upset (which I'm grateful for), more like a how-could-you-do-this-to-me upset. And.. she's going through a hard time right now, so I... lied. I said I was mistaken. That made her happy, she said that she'd lost sleep over it..... well that's for another time.

I'm willing to date her without my mother's knowlege, but of course I would tell her that I wasn't out to my parents. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but.. does this make me a terrible person? I just feel so conflicted.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that the situation with your mom is a bridge that you're going to have to cross eventually. I understand why you don't want to deal with that right now, especially with everything else that's going on!

I just thought I'd say, you're not a bad person for feeling ready for date but not feeling ready to come out to your parents just yet. I've been in that situation in the past! :slight_smile: Eventually you may find that being in the closet could be a hurdle for any relationships you're developing, long-term.

My personal feeling is that there'd be no harm in going on a few dates, until the time you feel ready to deal with the "mom" situation again. :slight_smile:

3. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you so very much for the advice, it really helped me (*hug*)

Eventually, I will cross that bridge :slight_smile: I look forward to the day that I do (!)
    Most of the stressors on my parents right now will likley subside over the next year, so I'm hoping that an opportune time to come out will crop up then :slight_smile:

I'm going to ask her out, and see what happens. I've never had the chance to be in a relationship with someone I share so many interests with and am so similar to- I don't want to pass this up! :icon_bigg