1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I do anything about this guy in my class?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by heythere999, Dec 16, 2015.

1. heythere999

For a good 3 months I had a class with someone almost every day of the week. For the first couple of weeks, from the corner of my eye, I would notice someone copying all of my gestures.

I'm the type of person that, when I notice something like that, I'll continue not giving any sort of eye contact at all.

However, a couple of weeks later, we ended up having our seats permanently next to each other. We talk to everyone around us, but never to each other... even though we sit right next to each other. I would never give him eye contact, but I would notice him staring at me or glancing at me from the corner of my eye.

He would also always copy my gestures; if I "sniffled," he'd do it immediately afterwards. If I sighed, he'd sigh immediately afterwards. If I crossed my legs, he would do it immediately afterwards. If I was resting my head on my hands, he would do the same. After a while, in class I would start paying attention to him paying attention to me so much (while never actually giving eye contact) that I would sometimes accidentally copy him too. And I would notice that he noticed, too. If I almost copied him doing something, he would immediately look at me. But I would also notice him doing that far more than me; a lot of times, if, say, I would change my seating position, he would automatically start doing it too, but in the middle of it he'd stop himself.

I've also noticed strange things, too. We've literally only exchanged maybe 5 or so words in-person, and he initiated it twice while I guess I was a tad cold in my response. However, any time our professor in class would make a comment about me or something and the class would laugh, he would laugh, look at me for a couple of seconds, and then look away.

There's also been many times where I have talked to someone in front of him, not acknowledging him at all. I noticed he would almost be on the verge of saying something, but he'd stop himself.

There was even one time in class where our professor made a joke about gay sex. He laughed, glanced at me really quickly, and then looked away.

Anyways, it's just been this really weird tension between us (that no one notices except us), with him copying my gestures and looking at me, me making a point to never look at him but sometimes unintentionally copying him as well, etc. etc. But basically I am under the impression that he is really, really nervous towards me.

This week, I got his number from a classmate. I didn't do anything, really, other than ask him if he's done the study guide. He's one of the top students in the class, so it wasn't anything strange. However, I noticed I would ask him questions and he'd just respond with "ok" "no" etc. He could just be a bad texter, but, idk?

And today was our last day in the class. After the final, a good 10 or so of us stayed after class to discuss things and to do some little extra credit assignment. I tried saying a few words to him and agreeing with him but he wouldn't make eye contact with me at all.

Him and I plus two other people walked out of the class together, and all four of us said bye to each other. Him and I were the last ones to say bye to each other, and when he did, he was reluctant to give a handshake. I tried giving him eye contact but he immediately said "see ya" and then walked away.

Should I bother to do anything at this point? I'm afraid I could seem "weird"... plus the class is already over. I dunno. I hate building up tension only for it to not transform into something positive.

What do you guys think?

2. treasure1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not being able to hold eye contact is a major signal that someone is trying to hide their feelings, the eyes show everything hence the quote "the eyes are the window to the soul".
    It's a bit hard to tell whether he is interested in you from this besides him being nervous and copying your movements - does he seem gay? Is he genuinely shy with everyone or just you?
    I say give it another shot, try to subtly hint that you are interested - do this in a way that in case he may not be you are not outed/potentially embarrassed.
    Try touching him - in a friendly manner of coarse lol and get him to exchange eye contact, he seems very shy so you need to make sure he is comfortable around you which may take time and if you are patient you may become good friends and be able to see where it goes :slight_smile:
    Don't be afraid of seeming weird, if he shows no interest still all you'll seem is friendly!
    Good luck

3. heythere999

Like I said, we sat next to each other, but interacted with everyone around us in the class, aside from each other.

I tried texting him a couple of times just for homework last week, but today was our last day of class, hence the saying goodbye, and not being able to hold any eye contact with me.

I feel like it'd be way too awkward to initiate another text, even though in person he's the one putting in all the effort (in a very strange way). We never talked to each other, really. One time he tried butting into a conversation and I just said "oh really?" and that's it, and another time before an exam I tried asking a friend a question and he butt in too and I said "what? I dunno..." and that's pretty much it. I guess I "messed up" big time.

That said, I don't really need confirmation if he's gay or not. We created tension out of nothing I think that says a lot.

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to be rude, but I think you were at bit cold to him. I personally think that he's afraid to have a conversation with you because you'll ignore him.

5. heythere999

Well I would be less reluctant if he wasn't cold when I would text him about an assignment... Then again that was the only time I would.

I want to text him, but I don't know what to do. I don't want to try having a regular convo, that's a tad awkward. And what if I just start talking about how we were in class or just bringing things to the forefront? That would overwhelm, maybe he'd deny it, etc.

I just really don't want to embarrass myself.

6. Magenta Mucus

Just text him a nice "Hi there!" and see how he responds. I think he likes you less, and idolizes you more. I'm a top student myself and I know I've done these things too, just not so obviously (I hope). I generally think he might really like you or something, and he's way too shy or scared to say anything. Maybe his family doesn't accept being gay, and he hasn't come out of the closet yet. Maybe he just thinks you're the best thing since bubblegum.

7. heythere999

Lol I don't know about "hi there!" but I'll consider something of that nature.

Not sure about it just being idolization. I mean, it could be, but I doubt it. After me asking him for help on HW and being super nice that shouldn't result in him still avoiding eye contact and then when saying goodbye to look down and away instead of giving eye contact back. I keep mentioning that but I think that says A LOT.

8. heythere999

9. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you already have him on Facebook or other social media? If not, you can add him and casually strike up a conversation, asking how he's doing. I think this would be less awkward than texting all of a sudden after classes are over.

In any case, try not to obsess over him and this situation. If things are meant to be, it will happen at one point. Will you see him next semester? Maybe you can wait to interact with him more naturally in person if you're scared of embarrassing yourself (although I think even sending a text asking how he's doing is really not a big deal)

Some general unsolicited advice: You should probably learn not to act cold when someone seems to take interest in you, regardless of whether it's romantic or platonic. It would've been so much easier to get to know him back then! Also, try not to over analyse people's behaviour. Interact with them and get to know them and discuss openly about these things instead of guessing and analyzing. I think this is really a big step to having a real adult relationship.

10. stumble along

Yeah, you kinda made it sound like you blatantly ignored him, he probably has given up to some degree and is either moving or has moved on.

If the roles were reversed and you were interested in someone who made it a point to not even make eye contact or speak to you, would you still be interested after a few weeks/months?

If it hasn't been too long si b ce the semester ended I'd just throw a text out there mentioning the tension between you two and apologizing for acting cold. Maybe that will make him come around.

11. heythere999

It's been 6 days since the semester ended. So it hasn't been long at all. Lesson learned.

I want to send something straightforward like that but what if he goes like "what tension? I don't care" etc.

And I also don't know if I'm going to have another class with him. I might, starting the beginning of January. But if I don't, I feel like it'll be too late to apologize or mention tension via text.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give him your number. If you do nothing, we already know how it's going to turn out.

13. heythere999

You didn't read all of it did you lol

14. stumble along

If you think you two could be friends or something more then just apologize for acting the way you did. Don't have to mention tension or anything just say "hey I know I wasn't exactly the warmest person throughout the semester, sorry about that, would you like to hang out/ grab coffee/ grab food sometime?"

If he says yes and you meet then maybe go into more detail why, or if he asks. Just be truthful, you can't mess it up. For better or worse.

15. heythere999

We had a very brief text convo and he was nice but nothing came of it. And I don't know if I'll ever see him around campus... So basically unless im a little straightforward in some way, I don't see anything happening. Really messed this up