1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel obsessed with my boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lancelot, Dec 18, 2015.

1. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been dating this guy for a few months, and he's a very carefree type. He never comes up with any plans; I always do. When I do, I become a little scared to tell him.. I am afraid of him shooting it down saying he has other plans with his friends or him complaining about the plan because he is not too fond of my date idea. I usually come in after he has made plans with his friends or his "alone day" plans and am just inserted if my suggestion happens to align with his vacancy. He has a bunch of friends that he casually hangs out with, and I am in no way as social as he is. So, I end up spending a lot of lone time just working on my stuff.. Edit: I don't nag him to hang out, so we end up seeing once a week or every two weeks

He is not really a text person either so it took me a while to persuade him to not ignore my text all day and definitely not for many days. No, I don't send him random texts, it's my date plan texts that get ignored.. I confronted him about it, and now he is more responsive half of the week, not so much the other half.

Maybe he's not the ideal boyfriend, but I can't help myself being infatuated with him. I don't have a lot of experience in dating while he has dated many men and women. He exudes of confidence. I have very little confidence in myself and always doubt myself. I spend most of my time waiting to hear back from him, thinking about him, and worrying about our relationship, which hinders my work throughout the day.

I've read a bunch of advice on the internet suggesting I fill up my days with hobbies or friends. Yeah, I work out at the gym, make plans with straight or gay friends (although I'm not too social) and participate in different events to stay occupied. But no, even while I'm doing other stuff, I end up thinking about my bf and find myself checking my phone for his replies that I know aren't there.

Is there anything else I can do to make this unhealthy obsession go away? My bf knows that I like him a lot, but I haven't told him I'm this obsessed with him 'cause I don't want to scare him away.

#1 lancelot, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. robclem21

Healthy relationship should be a two way street. If you aren't happy with how things are, you shouldn't feel trapped by the fact he has more experience dating than you. I agree that it is important to fill your day with things that you enjoy and keep you busy, however, it is important that you boyfriend not ignore your needs in the relationship as well. There is indeed a fine balance and you should be able to communicate with him if you have issues.

I'll admit I struggle with this at times as well. Although, if he isn't willing to make an effort to make you happy then I think you can do better and find someone who will do the little things you enjoy.

3. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did tell him I want more physical contact, hear from him once in a while, etc. His response is "gay." I tell him I indeed am and still want those things. He grabs my hand for a short time and says "satisfied?" These hurt me that I have to make him do things (reluctantly) that other couples do. He's bi... Do bi's not do romantic (gay by his definition) things?

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    OK. I identified a few things.

1) Like you said you have self-confidence issues which I suggest you try to sort out in any case. It will be a HUGE asset in any part of your life. If you have the chance and opportunity, perhaps you would like to consult a psychologist? If not, the try reading up on self-confidence and self-esteem.

2) It is quite normal in a relationship that one is more eager about the other. However, this difference should not be too big. To me it sounds like that this guy is not interested in having a relationship. My bet is that he just wants sex from you.

He also sounds like a kind of jerk or immature if he treats your need for non-sexual physical intimacy with that kind of sarcastic way. Unless you are in the very beginning of the relationship seeing once a week or once in two weeks it's kind of little.

3) It doesn't sound to me that treats you even with minimum respect. Taunting you to be gay when you try to address an issue sounds a little like he is looking down on you (Obviously I wasn't there so can't say for sure but it sure sounds it.)

4) Bisexuals are can but are not necessarily bi-romantic. This means he might be sexually attracted to you but not romantically. However, some bisexuals are also bi-romantic meaning they would do romantic stuff with you. Your BF doesn't sound like one. How old are you guys and what do you actually do when you see each other?

My advice is, walk away from him. You are not getting what you want and he is not comfortable giving it to you. Relationships are a give and take. Don't stick in a relationship where you only give.

5. robclem21

^^ I agree with all 4 points mentioned above.

You are staying with him because you don't feel like you can do better. In fact, you most certainly can. There are a lot of people who would be over the moon by the attention you are willing to give. Don't waste so much effort on someone who doesn't treat you with respect or appreciate the things you do for them.

6. CapColors

You don't sound obsessed or weird, frankly. But you DO sound way more into him than he is into you.

I hope you'll consider moving on if his behavior doesn't improve. You can try asking for more attention again but frankly he sounds a bit like a cad.

7. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You are obsessed because he is driving you crazy, it's only normal. The way you describe him makes him seem to be a complete jackass, to be honest... Are you two not exclusive? Because I certainly would not think he is.

I think the self-esteem issue here is that you are letting yourself be treated so poorly by this guy you are infatuated with. You are probably idolising him in ways that he doesn't deserve, and I suspect that comes from your not considering yourself highly enough. Not responding to you about the plans you propose, and the sarcastic comments about intimacy is almost abusive. I really encourage you to think about breaking up with him, or your self-esteem will suffer even more in the long run. If you see him only once a week/two weeks in the first months of dating, then I wouldn't even consider him your boyfriend. This is clearly a red flag. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you sound like a sweet guy, and you deserve a lot better I think.

8. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You are obsessed because he is driving you crazy, it's only normal. The way you describe him makes him seem to be a complete jackass, to be honest... Are you two not exclusive? Because I certainly would not think he is.

I think the self-esteem issue here is that you are letting yourself be treated so poorly by this guy you are infatuated with. You are probably idolising him in ways that he doesn't deserve, and I suspect that comes from your not considering yourself highly enough. Not responding to you about the plans you propose, and the sarcastic comments about intimacy is almost abusive. I really encourage you to think about breaking up with him, or your self-esteem will suffer even more in the long run. If you see him only once a week/two weeks in the first months of dating, then I wouldn't even consider him your boyfriend. This is clearly a red flag. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but you sound like a sweet guy, and you deserve a lot better I think.

9. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1) I read upon self esteem a lot because of obvious reasons but I guess I am ready to make some major change in my life and read it in a new light

2) He says he likes me but it's hard to tell from his most of his actions. Going from ignoring texts to more responding was a huge step for him according to him. He knows he's a jerk but says he can't change it. I'm putting up with it for now, but I don't know how long I can last haha.

3) I usually can't tell if he's joking either haha fml.. I used to tell him he was gay too until he told me later he was bi. Then all this calling my wants 'gay' sorta made sense

4)he's bi romantic and sexual. Problem is he is too lazy to do any romantic stuff so it's been a long while since we did any. The most romantic thing we've done last couple months is going out to eat lol

I really appreciate your advice. I'll try to see if there's any room for improvement and make a decision.

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2015 at 12:22 PM ----------

Thank you for all your thoughtful comments. I'll keep asking him what I want, give it some time and see if anything improves. If he finds me too needy for him, so be it and I can move on. I'll keep you guys posted

10. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One thing I noticed is, to us, you have painted the very worst picture of him possible. Not once have you mentioned a single thing to recommend him. You have not once said something like how he makes you happy or at least how he is somewhat considerate. Something is up. Either he is a psychopath or you are infatuated. Keep us updated.

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Talk is cheap. It's actions that matter. The fact he says he "likes" you is not even saying that much. It's not even sounding like he thinks you two are in a relationship or that he loves you.

Dude, I do way more romantic stuff with some of my straight guy friends than you do with your boy friend - and we are not even anyway romantically involved! If eating out is the standard, I have romance with nearly all of my friends.

When you are in love, you want constantly or most of the time spend time each other. It sure sounds like this is the case with you but it doesn't sound it's the case with him. Whenever he is doing something else he considers that whatever he is doing then is more important than you at that moment. If he constantly puts his friends and other stuff over you, well you do the math. It's your life and your decisions. You be the judge.

12. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah.. After reading your comments, I found him a mile away from me on the app (we both make friends thru apps so I didn't tell him to delete it.). Funny, he was supposed to be in a different state today. I thought his location wasn't updated at first but he had a closer distance this morning. I asked him if he was back yet without mentioning the app. He wasn't responding so I tried to think he just came back early for some reason and maybe he didn't read my text.
    When I was about to text him again, I coincidentally saw him typing something but he ended up deleting it. Yeah, so my doubt is neither confirmed nor rejected, just left to brew. And he didn't forget to text back as he always tells me when I don't hear from him for hours to day.. He actively chose not to respond. I just feel not valued at all, burning whatever self-confidence I have left in me and our relationship to the ground.
    I am supposed to see him tomorrow. I initially invited him so I can make a holiday meal for him (he's not spending it with me and he knows I have nowhere to go). But what I just said above tipped over every unhappy feelings toward him that I tried to suppress. I plan to tell him how this is not working, the fact that I don't think he feels neither affection nor love toward me, evidenced by his lack of action (even verbally I guess). I'm not sure if I want to bring out the out-of-state question on the table because he could have made it home early and fell asleep trying to answer (I just read this again lol'd at how stupid this sounds)

I guess I'm done being eager in this relationship alone, feeling like we've been dating for three years or sth. To comment on mystory's comment, I think I've been feeling unhappy most of the time through our short dating life. Feeling like a loner in the relationship is not negated by feeling a bit better once a week when I see him. I can tell he's just not thinking or caring about me enough to feel obligated to show it. And this new trust issue.. Is not helping

#12 lancelot, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  13. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is this the infamous hook up app that shall not be mentioned here? If it is what on earth makes you think it's a good place to make friends?!

I bet he was meeting one of his new "friends" from the app overnight. I'm amazed just how much compounding evidence you are willing to ignore. Sure, when you look any of those little incidents separately, there is a perfectly plausible and innocent explanation to it. However, when this becomes a weekly occurrence the evidence is said to be compounding. Suddenly all those little explanations together become implausible.

I hope you never have to serve in a jury. You wouldn't be able to find anyone guilty even if there was video evidence backing it up.

Finally some sense!

I don't want to sound mean but it sure sounds like he has made you his bitch. Everything happens at his terms. You provide him food, care and most likely sex and yet you get nothing in return.

The first step in claiming back your self-respect and self-confidence is to make him taste his own medicine. Normally I wouldn't recommend this approach but I have a feeling that if you handled this in a civil way he would probably not get the point.

Forget about the meal. Make sure you are not home tomorrow when he is supposed to get there. Go to a movie with a friend, do something nice, heck, do even something unpleasant rather than cooking a meal to this guy. Oh, and be sure not to inform him that the meal plan is off. If he texts you or calls you, just ignore him and respond him next day you completely forgot about the meal and you also forgot about replying his messages.

The second step is that you break up with him - and once again you forget to tell about it to him. Let him find out about it. Don't send him any messages, don't call and don't contact him any way. The next time he calls you, ignore the call. Wait a couple of hours and send him a text asking what's up. If he wants to see you, tell him you totally forgot to tell him that you guys broke up. And don't keep any touch with him after that.

And, please, don't fall for his pleas for trying to get back together. He most likely will try to sweet talk you out of it. Don't buy his BS. I've know guys like him and I know their game. You are just a convenient source of sex, food and attention to him.

I was just to about to comment that I truly admire your ability to think out side the box in making excuses for this guy. Don't even bother bringing up the whole issue. Just be done with him. Who cares where he was?

If you find yourself in an unhappy relationship, get out of it. I can tell you have trouble being confident and valuing yourself. The sad truth is that if you don't stand up for yourself, no one will.

BTW, this sounds like very teenage stuff. How old are you guys?

14. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah this is embarrassing we're both mid 20s haha. I just have very little experience with Relationships and maybe that's why he's exploiting me

15. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He is exploiting you because he is an asshole and you are easy target.

If you don't want to serve justice to him by "forgetting" to tell him, then just dump him right away via text. Politely explain to him that your thing isn't working and it's over.

You are being ridiculous by confronting him with his lies. It shouldn't matter even if he was telling you the truth and he had to come back home to care for his sick hamster and just when he was about to respond to your message you he fell asleep. There is enough evidence to dump him irrespective of this. If he is smart he realized that you realized that he is back in town.

Trust me, you feel much better if you allow him no control over you dumping him. Meeting him and confronting him invites him to feed you more BS which I fear you will swallow. It also implicitly tells him that you are willing to forgive him if he sucks up on you hard enough which he might do but then again things might go to the opposite direction. What if he after you confront him says that he has had enough of you and dumps you on the spot? How bad would you then feel when he robbed you of the only thing that you had control over?

16. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I asked him if he could come over if he was home. That was at 6pm. He said he was coming back tomorrow. I was on my way home after hanging out with my friends and was about to transfer at a stop close to his place at 12. Then I noticed his room was lit. Knocked on the three bedroom apt and he pretended like he wasn't there. I had to keep knocking. When the door finally opened, it was him. With his ex in his room, according to him. He admitted he lied, pushed me out the door and it ended like that. I'm glad I confronted him today. Now I am so certain that he's so trash that I won't miss him at all. But it hurts that I was being lied to and was wasting my time for the past 5 months. Should I find comfort in that it didn't last any longer? I hope time will heal.. But I really don't know what to do right now

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2015 at 02:36 AM ----------

After he pushed me out the door I called him a liar and told him to burn in hell so the whole apt could hear it. I'm feeling triumphant for that. And now I'm open for a lot better people than him. I did the right thing. These are what I'm telling myself right now

#16 lancelot, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  17. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every time, no matter how tempting it may feel to sink, and to drown, swallowing bitterly the profound, if not terrifying yet irrational thought that you may never find his equal, reflect back upon your own conduct in closing. You should feel proud. You stood up for yourself and you showed the resilience and emotional maturity of someone who deserves to be proud. Always think back to this- back to this type of person that you want to be, whenever you feel yourself sinking. Think of how strong and dignified you were. This is the type of person you want to be, and you practised it today.

As to finding someone 'better'- don't worry about that for now. People have a habit of always spinning bullshit and disappointing you. But your own conduct, your own disposition- that self-confidence that you practised today, that should be your sense of certainty... No matter who hurts you, it will always be certain that you are the dignified and emotionally mature person that you are.

Keep writing to us

#17 Mystory, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  18. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm still feeling the adrenaline rush although it's been almost an hour since the event and now it's 3am. I know how to fight for myself, I know how to protect myself from ppl's BS's, I know how to stand for myself and not back down on someone's abuse. I feel like a winner and am getting stronger! Thank you.. And now that I see through my false image of him that I'd torn down through not just my pursuit and confrontation but also you guys' help, I definitely feel I came on top of this! As soon as I calm down, I'll catch some sleep. Thank you guys all so much

19. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am glad to hear that. If you ever feel that this is becoming too much- please remember, that you were fine without him for more than 20 years. You were fine on your own before, and you will be fine on your own tomorrow! You can do this.

20. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy you finally dumped him and see him as he really is. My first love was a bit like him and I also was naive and choose to ignore the obvious signs. He also lied to my face which I felt really bad about since we begun as friends and then I learned that the friendship didn't mean much to him.

Don't worry. Time will heal your wounds so don't worry about it. Take this as a learning experience. Now you were forced to confront feelings that you were afraid to confront.

If you have friends who you can talk about this, it might help to talk to discuss your feelings with them. Allow yourself to process your grief. And remember,there are so many people in this world that there is virtually always at least as good guy than anyone you ever meet.