1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family party went horribly wrong

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Belle the Bee, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Last night I went to a family holiday party.
    Everyone on that side of the family is conservative and I'm deep in the closet on that side.
    My cousin was talking to her friend and said " everyone in MY family is straight, nobodys gay in this house" and that just killed me. I thought I was going to vomit. There was less than 20 people there, and only one, my twin sis knows I'm gay. She was in the other room when my cousin said that and couldn't say anything. Neither could I.
    Not only just it make me never want to come out, but it breaks my heart because that cousin who said that has a brother, the sweetest guy ever, who is gay.
    I haven't seen him in 3 years.
    To make matters worse, my uncle kept giving me more and more wine. I ended up drunk and crying, but couldn't explain myself.
    I don't know what to do. Even though they are racist & Homophobic conservatives, they're still my family. I just feel so hopeless now and totally frustrated that I wasn't brave enough to speak up. I'm only in high school, I hardly ever drink, I usually speak my mind and yesterday, God it was just the worse.
    I just need some advice or just something hopeful.

2. Really

Give yourself a break. Family get togethers are stressful at the best of times. Having racist, homophobic relatives will make it worse.

Don't worry. You'll be able to speak up one day. And you will control how and when. Not when you're thrown together with them all at once, unless you choose to do it that way.

That's great you sister knows and can support you. Do you have a way to contact that gay cousin? I'm sure he'd love to know that he's got some support within the family. I'm sure he'd be equally happy to support you.

Hang in there. And maybe don't drink when you're already emotional. Not the best combo. :thumbsup:

3. Distant Echo

You'll get there.

And the uncle that kept on giving you wine? Steer clear of him. Just a bad feeling about that.