1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one reject someone gently?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Dezzysgurl, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Dezzysgurl

So yeah, forgive me if I am not the best at describing things. I'm still really kind of new/scared/emotional.

Okay. So my only friend irl is a guy. And we had made plans to hang out on Thursday. And being the naive, stupid person I am (With no prior experience in dating really), failed to realize that us hanging out was actually us on a date. I did eventually figure that out when we were on my couch playing video games together and it devolved into him wrapping his arms around me on the couch. I kind of maybe freaked out a little for several reasons. One of which being I'm with someone already.

My girlfriend forgave me (and kind of calmed me down), but now I am left with the task of making it clear I don't like him like that, and I have a girlfriend. He knows I'm bi (Which is not one hundred percent certain, but that's a different story for a different day), and knows I'm not out to my family. The girlfriend part he doesn't know about. Thing is, he's a good guy and I really don't want to lose my friendship over this. But I don't like him and I am no good at words or rejecting people or disappointing them. :bang:

Any and all words of wisdom are welcome, or just telling me to grow up. I've never been good at any interaction with people. This just kind of proves it.... Thanks in advance I guess? :help:

2. Really

Did he ask you out again?

You could tell him more or less what you've said here. You're sorry but you misunderstood that that was a date. You're currently interested in someone else so don't want to mislead him. You're flattered that he thinks your someone he'd like to date but for now you need him to be your friend because you really value him.

Something like that?

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if you froze when he hugged you it's likely he noticed it. It might be that it's enough to back him off so if I were you I would wait and see what happens next.

If it looks like he is still pursuing you try asking him straight is he interested in you. Do it in a manner which gives him a chance to escape with saving his face. If he admits he has crush on you, politely explain him that you are not interested in him in that way and that you have a girl friend. If he asks why haven't you told him before you could explain that your girl friends is still in the closet and does not want anyone to know etc.

BTW, I think you should try finding other friends too, if you have only one friend in real life. Having just a one friend leaves you dependent on them.