1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being An Adult At Home Sucks

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Anonymous, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Anonymous

I seriously hate the way my life has gone. I stupidly, so freaking stupidly agreed to move back home with my parents after college. I had a job, granted it wasn't a good one, but I could've worked things out to get on a more stable track....... I have a college education. Now, I am stuck in an area I am completely unfamiliar with, and I am just starting to meet people in this new city.......... and I'm stuck living with my parents. I have a job through the computer, but the pay is completely to shit...... and barely covers anything. I have a college degree, and I could get various sorts of work....... I'm just not sure what I want to do in the end for my career, and I've been taking time to figure things out. Recently, I came out to my family........ and they took it better than I expected. They didn't kick me out or threaten to or anything. They even have said that they love and support me regardless and that they accept me. I told them 9 months ago, but it's only been the past few months that it's been believed more seriously. It's only been the past few weeks that it has been more solidly established as a serious thing. Although they say that they accept me, when I have asked, they have admitted that they find it "unsettling" and that they may find it more "unsettling" should I ever end up being involved with another guy. They've said though that they will stick by me and support me no matter what though. However, they also say that they don't want "this happening under their roof". I don't know what to make of that, maybe this is somewhat common amongst families that are "accepting"........ I mean I don't know, I guess I've heard this whole "not under my roof" thing with regard to things between opposite sex couples. It just irks me this tone, and I really want to leave. The only problem is that they act protective of me, and they don't want me to leave anytime soon out of fear that I wouldn't be able to make it for myself and would "crash and burn". Is this whole "not under my roof" business a common thing amongst parents that are accepting of it........ or is this the kind of behavior you'd expect from the more non-accepting, bullshit making types? I've been in this fucking house for so long now that I have to ask this stuff, because I find it hard to tell whether I'm being dealt bullshit or not as so much has happened that wasn't even related to my sexuality. Living at home just makes you lose perspective, and you can't always tell when people are being fair and reasonable or just being shits. I just am uncertain, and I feel like if I'm being treated unfairly I don't even want their freaking "support" in helping me out. I feel like if they're being unfair about this, I just want to be done and through with it

#1 Anonymous, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2015
  2. foxer

That. For me atleas. Sounds like they try to be supportive and understanding but they might be a bit too unsettled about the whole deal. "They don't want it happening under their roof" Part of the treatment your receiving might be just them being unaware of things. Maybe even a lil bit afraid?

Depending on their views / experiences they might have some expectations regarding to different sexualities and most likely some of them being compleaditly wrong.

Hope this was for any help ^-^