1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my friend has feelings for me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by VampireGrin, Dec 23, 2015.

1. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me start with some back story. I'm gay. One of my best friends, Steve, identifies as straight. We've been close friends for almost 10 years. We have also been roommates for around 8 months. I came out to Steve and my other roommate right when we all moved in together. I had always thought that my friend Steve was possibly gay or bi for quite some time even though he has shown interest in girls and has had 2 somewhat serious girlfriends in the past. He fits into a fair amount of gay stereotypes that I won't get into, but he also compliments me a lot. He'll randomly tell me how good I look when we're hanging out and how he wishes his body was more like mine. I'll admit that while finally accepting my own sexuality and getting closer to coming out, I had a short lived crush on him. We get along great, have a lot of the same interests, and I find him physically attractive. Despite all those great things, these feelings didn't last very long.

Since moving in with him and coming out to him, I am becoming more and more convinced that he is gay or bi and has feelings for me. He was the 4th or 5th person I came out to. He said everything was cool and it changed nothing, but things were still weird. It was just me and him hanging out the rest of the night and he was very quiet and seemed nervous. I also thought it was weird that he didn't really ask me anything - you know basic stuff like, when did you first know? are you seeing anyone? stuff like that. Very different from other friends/family I told. Maybe that means nothing, or maybe he got hit with some thoughts on his own sexuality? A few weeks later I came out to one of our mutual female friends. I had a long talk with her during a drunken night where Steve was also there. When we came back inside from our talk, the first thing he asks is "did you talk about how I'm gay?". After and before that he'd make similar comments joking about him being gay or. Nobody even really questions him to his face, except apparently some of his coworkers do so that could have something to do with it.

Shortly after moving in, I met my boyfriend. Him and Steve get along fine, but my boyfriend sometimes feels like there is tension between the two of them. When my boyfriend isn't around, Steve will often times make joking comments about how i'm the better looking one in the relationship.

One night Steve was out of town with some other friends and got really drunk. We were texting like we normally do, and then out of nowhere he says "you make me sad all the time". The people who I asked about this all said that they think he's into me. Shortly after this happened, my other roommate told me that he thinks Steve is in love with me.

Alcohol always brings out the most questionable moments in Steve's sexuality if you couldn't already tell. He's known for getting touchy when he drinks, specifically with me. Usually it's just a quick back rub or sitting a little too close to me on the couch. One night he got really drunk with my boyfriend there. My boyfriend was passed out on the couch so it was just us two awake. Steve slapped my ass multiple times and even got down on the floor and started cuddling with my leg as I was sitting on the couch. I kept telling him to stop and he just kept saying "let it happen". The next morning it was pretty obvious he at least slightly remembered what went on. He was acting very nervous and kept asking if he did anything really weird. I told him about the ass spanking but that's it.

This whole situation is pretty stressful. Maybe I could be reading into things, but I'm pretty sure Steve isn't straight and that he has some type of infatuation with me. We're really good friends and roommates, and I don't want any of that to change. At this point it looks like he is far from coming out or confessing any feelings. He's still going on dates with girls (none of which last past 1-2 dates). But every time he drinks I get really uncomfortable. I'm not really sure what I can do or if I should do anything at all.

I apologize for how lengthy this is. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. stumble along

I think you're going to have to sit him down and explain that you feel there's something fishy between you two, and that since he's a good friend of yours that you want to get past it. I would also mention the drunk touching getting uncomfortable now that you're seeing someone.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anything before the last 2 paragraphs is completely inconsequential on their own. I never ask too detailed questions about anyone's romantic or sexual lives as I find it most of the time uninteresting and think it might be also a little invasive. Girls in general tend to be more inquisitive about such issues.

About your friend being gay:
    Slapping ass and cuddling with your leg (how do you cuddle with a leg?!) seem questionable yet are not completely out of ordinary between straight friends. I mean I know a some straight friends who - especially when drunk - get physical with each other and often make gay jokes about it. Stuff like hugging, wrestling and punching each other and occasionally even slapping asses. However, considering the fact that he knows you are gay puts a question mark. But then again if you are close friends for over 10 years may very well negate that.

What is your question?
    I don't really see what is the problem exactly? Is it him touching you in away that you are not comfortable about? If that is the case, you should address the issue by asking him not to do things you are not comfortable next time he does that. Also try to frame it in a way that he will not lose his face. It would be unwise to tell him that you think he is into you as that is likely to backfire big time.

Or is the issue that you are uncomfortable about the thought he might be into? Why is that a problem? Do you think you might subconsciously still be into him?

4. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I don't really have a direct question. I'm just worried about our friendship because there is this uncomfortable situation between us and want to hear some opinions if there's anything I can do or see if anyone has experienced something similar. I could never bring up to him that I think he has feelings for me. There's no way that convo would go well at this point. It is also possible that I subconsciously still have feelings for him, which scares me because I'm in a great relationship.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is the worth of friendship if you are constantly uncomfortable with your friend? I mean even if it was not the fault of your friend it won't change how you feel. I don't really see any easy way out of this. If you rule out the possibility of talking about this to your friend then all I can advice is that you need to yourself figure out why are you uncomfortable exactly before taking action so that when you take action you can be sure it was the right thing to do.

6. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My opinion? From what you've told us 1.Steve is gay. 2. You are not the first person to have two people want you. 3. I would not want my boyfriend living with another guy who has feelings for him or shows physical affection to him in front of others. If I was your boyfriend? I would say its time to get your own place. Or move in with me. Seems you care more about Steve's feelings than mine.