1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Disclose Or Not To Disclose

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Contact1111, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For people who are bisexual, do you typical tell people that when you are in a straight relationship. I imagine that some straight people would not be interested in being with a bisexual person for fear of cheating, stereotypes about promiscuous behavior, etc. So, for me, would it be best to be honest or just not broach the subject? How would you know whether or not someone you are in a relationship would handle it well? It seems like it would be a tough call to make......... unless they were bi too, but that would limit my options somewhat.

#1 Contact1111, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. MrK21

This is a problem amongst gays AND straights unfortunately. Never had a straight relationship. Only a few temporary flings with the guys. I can't really identify with a precise label though. I always tell my person of interest but normally after asking if they are gay/straight or bi first.

3. WanderingMind

Hi Contact1111. My situation is different... by the time I realized I'm bisexual, I was married (happily), with kids. For me, keeping it to myself became more and more of an issue the longer I kept it from my partner. There was a huge ache, and it's still taking time to figure out why it hurt. Part of it was not being fully myself around my husband - it felt dishonest, and insincere. Another part was feeling somewhat erased. Coming out to my husband has been an essential, and thankfully very positive, part of my journey. Why? Well, to be fair, because he's accepted that part of me more easily than I accepted myself. Also, I get to be authentic and talk to him about this new part of me. I wouldn't want to have to hide *me* from someone I love. If I was dating, I'd probably make sure that whoever I dated was okay with that part of me before the relationship went very far. In order to be the right person for me, my partner would need to handle my bisexuality well...

4. stumble along

I think it's one those things where you have to gauge the situation. Maybe try to bring up casually stuff going on in the media that way you can see if it'd be worth it.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only disclose if the relationship gets serious enough. I would not hide it from a potential long-term partner.