1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me parse down a letter to my mother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AwesomGaytheist, Dec 31, 2015.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone. If you know me, you know that my family is so damn dysfunctional and it's rearing its ugly head again.

This past spring, my mother dragged me home from college (and my boyfriend) because she claimed she "couldn't afford it anymore because her business isn't doing well," despite the fact that my parents' combined after-tax income is still in the six-figure range.

Now that we've had quite a few family developments, and my family situation at home has gotten even worse, I've clearly communicated my intent to return to my beloved Western Michigan in the fall. That's where the problems come in.

My mother yesterday flew into a fit of rage and told me there's no way in hell she'll cosign for any student loans, thus basically ending any chance that I would have of coming up with the funds to pay tuition. I don't know how much of that was just emotion, but she pissed me off and I said some things I shouldn't have. My mother knows exactly which buttons to push and when to push them, and put bluntly, since my grandmother had a stroke three and a half months ago, she's turned into a spiteful bitch (pardon my language) that frankly none of her sisters who cycle in and out of this house want to be around. I've basically made up my mind that I'm either going back to Western or I'm just going to get in my car and go. I really don't want to do that, but I feel like I have no other option. So without further ado, here's the "Pouring out all these raw emotions that won't let me sleep" version.

#1 AwesomGaytheist, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It looks like a good letter to me. I might add another "again, I'm sorry for (whatever it is that you're probably not all that sorry for given the circumstances) for the sake of appeasement. ;-)

Sorry about your situation by the way, I hope it improves.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's good

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If your parents are still close your mom may not be able to overlook you criticizing your dad and take your points at face value, but if he's as bad as you make him out to be then it needs to be said. Whether your parents are in any way to help out with your tuition is there decision, but they certainly are not justified in withholding that support as a means of controlling you. I'm sure they'd offer a different take on this, but if that's accurate I think it's pretty messed up. I'm sure having a kid move out on his own is a very bittersweet moment for all parents, but their job is to make sure you're able to succeed in the real world.

I don't really have any suggestions on your letter -- I think you communicate what you wanted to say effectively and in a respectful tone. I'm not convinced this will be well-received based on how confrontational you've made your relationship out to be over the past couple of years on here, but I think it was a good move to commit to moving out one way or the other. Hopefully your parents will recognize your determination and help you go down the road that sets you up better for the future.

Good luck!

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my dad just gave me some long speech about my weight and my grades and " proving you can handle college." Whatever. You know what, I'll bite my tongue and sell the devil my soul if it gets me back where I belong. Don't you hate those times when you know you're right and you have to stoop to someone else's level to get what you want?