1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Do Now

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Isabel, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Isabel

There has been this girl that I've been talking to for a couple weeks. I knew her before, but we didn't really talk all that much. So we're both girls (as you can probably tell), and she's a little over a year older than me (in high school). I really like her. The other day, I told some of my other friends. They, of course, freaked out, talking about how cute we are and stuff like that. Then, they said I had to tell her.

Yesterday, I told her everything, and she really likes me too. We've been talking about it a ton. We're both really happy. There are a few problems, however.

1. I currently live in Italy, and she lives at home, 4,936 miles away. I came here two weeks ago now, and there are 182 days until I get home. I miss her so much. I talk to her every day, both over text and video chat. I can't stop thinking about her. She's so sweet. She even wrote a song for me. Also, the seven hour time difference makes it really hard.

2. Even when I get back, it's still going to be hard. She's not out to anyone. Her friends would all be supportive, but her family...not so much. That's probably going to be one of the biggest problems. Everyone I know is perfectly fine with it, but it's harder for her.

So thanks for reading all of this. Any advice would be appreciated. DFTBA.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww I'm happy for you.

First, the distance. I'm in the US and my girlfriend is currently in Japan so I know how hard it is. I assume you're already spending as much time talking to each other as you can. Keep doing that. Set up a "date night" every once in a while, where you watch movies or play online games or just video chat while the both of you eat and talk. Remember the distance is only temporary and try to enjoy your time in Italy as much as you can.

Second, not being out can be difficult. Be as supportive as you can and understand that she'll have to come out on her own time. If you live close together, you may want to talk to your family especially if there's any risk of running into each other and her getting outed by accident. Invite her over to your house as much as you can. It's really a whole different experience having a place where you don't have to hide.

Best of luck. :slight_smile: I know it sounds difficult, but it can work. DFTBA

3. Isabel

Thanks for the advice! She has now told most of her friends, and they are all fine with it, as expected. Most of them are actually just freaking out over how cute we are, so that's good.

The distance is still hard, we've been talking all the time, but now that school has started up for her, there's barely any time to talk, as she has work and activities after school, and by the time she's done with them, it is very late for me. I would get up early to talk to her before she goes to sleep, but her parents have said that she is not allowed to text after ten. So what we've been doing is talking for a couple hours when it's very early in the morning for her and early afternoon for me, plus at various times when she's not busy throughout the day. This does mean that she doesn't get much sleep, though, so that's not very good.

Other than that, it's been pretty good!! We've talked about serious stuff, and funny stuff, and everything in between. She's been flirting with me nonstop as well, so that's been fun. Thanks again for your advice, I'm sure we can make it work; now, and when I get back. DFTBA.