1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i support a friend properly?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GhostCake, Jan 1, 2016.

1. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So thing is my friend has a great dislike toward herself and won't accept any nice words said about and to her. When asked she always says she doesn't deserve this and stuff.

I am trying my best to reassure her that she is actually okay. She's a amazing person but she just won't accept herself as that. She's already seeing a therapist but it doesn't seem to help at all..

Now how do i get her to finally accept herself and that she has the right to be loved by people too?

Are there any things i should rather avoid? Or should i maybe talk with another friend of ours about this?

2. Really

What if you flipped it around. Instead of trying to convince her she should like herself, just keep reminding her that you like her and you think she's great. Just keep bringing it around to the fact that you value her and she's special to you.

I don't think you can change her mind about herself but you can be a constant reminder that there is someone who thinks she's amazing.

3. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Exactly as the poster below me has said,
    You should let her know that she i special to you, that she adds value to your life.
    There's no need to convince her that she's awesome but yeah let her know that she matters to you. One of the most wonderful feelings is knowing that someone cares about you, so I'm positive that doing so will help.
    And it would be better to have another friend at your side but do not overdo it, as she might take it as sacrcasm.
    May the Force be with you.

4. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much for the help, it's much apprecciated.
    I'll try my best <3

5. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I'm pretty much am the kind of friend you described. Meaningful praise and genuine compassion and care is wonderful. Let her know it's ok to cry express all she's going through etc. without judgement. Do you know whether she is diagnosed with depression? Does she self-harm, have an eating disorder, or feel suicidal? Look out for them and tell a trusted adult if needed. Hope this helped!

6. GhostCake

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much. It's amazing to know these things from that side of view too!
    And yes- i do know for a fact that she is diagnosed with depression. She always tells me she doesnt self harm anymore but all i need to see are her arms to know that was a lie. (i was pretty scared when i noticed the rather fresh marks on them some time back but didn't dare to bring up the theme- seriously have no idea how to deal with this or if it would be harmful to even bring it up..?)