1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take your friends to adjust to new pronouns?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by NotKnowing, Jan 3, 2016.

1. NotKnowing

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey everyone!
    I know this isn't something that can be answered for everyone.
    It would just interest me, because my friends are quite good at calling me Oscar but when I don't remind them, they call me she even though it's been over a month since I've told them to start using male pronouns.. I guess it's because they still see me as a girl.. But that will probably not change for a while:dry:

2. anitamandablow

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Human beings for one are made to adapt. However, social adaptations take time. It's not easy for friends and family to adapt. Some people take longer than others. Correct them politely and don't get angry if they use the wrong pronouns. It takes a lot of time to get used to it and adjust.

#2 anitamandablow, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It helps if you have one friend who adapts quickly, because that way others will hear your pronouns actually being used.

Changing physical appearance can also help, liking getting a haircut, or attempting a deeper voice.

Most importantly, you have to be firm about it. I had a hard time adjusting to my friend who transitioned, until they got really upset one day when I didn't use the pronouns. After that, I was extra careful to ALWAYS use them, and made sure to double check every time I spoke for about a month after that. Now I'm used to it. After I got it right, their other friends caught on from me elbowing them every now and then. :3