1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't stop misgendering my boyfriend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CraikNakes, Jan 3, 2016.

1. CraikNakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My beautiful boyfriend who I've been dating for a month is FTM and I'm super cool with that but for some reason my head always defaults to she/her pronouns when I think about him. This makes me really upset at myself and I don't understand why I can't see him as 100% a boy and I really really wish I could. How do I fix my head so it works right? Does it just take time? I have other trans friends who I have no problem with being able to use their preferred pronoun but its just my boyfriend. It might be that my parents are transphobic and don't believe in it, but I hate everything they say anyways, how do I overcome this? I really want to see my boyfriend for who he is. Thanks

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still have a bit of trouble with misgendering people, which is embarrassing and makes me feel really guilty as a trans guy.
    Just make your best effort as seeing him as a him. After all, he's your boyfriend! You're gay and wouldn't date a girl, right? Honestly, I don't care if people slip up on my pronouns from time to time so long as I can see that they are trying and willing to admit mistakes.

3. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why don't you talk to him about it. it will help you feel better and if he isn't over sensitive about your trouble with his pronouns (or remembering to use them) than it should be able to help you both.
    My partner has a hard time as well sometimes and if he is before T than its even harder to remind yourself to use male pronouns.

You should deff. talk to him about it and maybe than you'll discover why you have trouble with remembering and maybe figure out a good way to remember between the two of you.