1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Seanrh123, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Seanrh123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 15 and gay and I desperately want a long distance relationship I don't want to date anyone in my small hometown plus even if I wanted to i have really bad anxiety and low self esteem. Can anyone tell me a good way to meet new people from places outside of the uk

2. molsen7961

I probably won't be very helpful, but I just want to warn you about a couple things before you venture into long distance. First of all, if you're meeting anyone online, you need to make sure to video chat them as soon as possible or you may get catfished. And be careful even if you do video chat them and everything turns out all right - you only see what they want you to see. They could be lying about every aspect of their life and you would never know.

Second of all, long distance is not easy. I am currently on a "LDR" - it's not really long distance because we live only an hour apart, but we can't see each other often because she's in the closet and her parents can't know we're together. Not seeing each other is really hard. Just as an example, sometimes we'll talk everyday of the week, then talk once every 3 days for another few weeks. On the days we don't talk, we'll have a few minutes of text message conversation, but nothing substantial or meaningful. It's really hard to not be there and truly know what's going on in her life. Sometimes it feels like we don't talk enough and we don't have enough communication, even though we make sure we tell each other all the major things that are happening in our lives.

We were best friends for 2 years before we started dating so we trust and respect one another. But if you're meeting someone for the first time without knowing them personally, you can't trust them. They could be lying to you...they could be 40 years old and married to a woman, and just looking for some kid to take advantage of. There's no way you could know they weren't cheating on you either, because you don't know them personally so how can you trust them personally?

I'm not saying pursuing a long distance relationship is a bad idea. But there are a lot of problems when it comes to trust, communication, and honesty, that are hard to avoid, especially when it comes to someone as young as you and someone that (probably) has never mean in a real committed relationship before. My best advice to you would be to wait until you get out of your town and go to college - I guarantee you'll meet someone there.

3. NateC7

I'm sorry but I have to agree with molsen7961. I was in two long distance relationships, both with closeted bisexuals. Both failed because one came out to her parents while I was on a skype video chat with her and it went very badly. The other was not only closeted, but also very depressed and socially awkward. She was untalkative and shut me out on 3 occasions.

Basically I'm saying that long distance has never worked out for me, so I would advise against it.

4. writernextdoor

I've never been in a long distance relationship myself but as for meeting people online I would day for your age maybe don't go out seeking relationships with people online. The only reason I say this is because we are of similar age and and a lot of the people online searching for relationships our age may not be trustworthy or may just want someone so they can say they are in a relationship :rolle:

But I don't want to try and put you off, if you are serious about being in a relationship I would say maybe make some internet friends and see if anything develops from there. From my experience just talking to people who you think are interesting online usually ends in friendship or at least a good conversation. (*hug*)