1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend and I are in love with the same person...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thesecretcat, Jan 6, 2016.

1. thesecretcat

My friend and I are in love with the same woman...
    I'll be honest I didn't think that this would happen to me but I'm starting to develop a crush on my friend which isn't too bad I suppose, if it wasn't for the fact that my friend also used to date her and isn't over the 'break up'. I think I need to start from the beginning...

I'm in my last year of Sixth form college and I have three very close friends who are Jack, Liz and Anne (these are not their real names as I don't want to reveal their identities on the internet). I have known Jack since I was 5 years old and we are very good friends and have a lot of history between us, I met Liz and Anne in high school about 5 years ago and that was how our group had formed.

Last year, in the first year of Sixth Form college Liz came out to me as bisexual, of course I was completely fine with it as I had come out as lesbian when I was 16 (so a year before). Our friendship was strong but there was no romantic link between us at the time. A few months into the first year and Jack had told me that he and Liz were dating which was absolutely adorable, me and Anne (who is like a sister to me) had always thought that they would make a good couple and they did! Everything was going well for them...until they broke up.
    They didn't have an awful break up because they still remained very good friends, Liz broke up with Jack and later told me that they were 'too different' and that she was 'more into women'. I didn't think any more of it, I was just glad that they had manage to stay good friends.
    Lets skip to present day.

Jack, Anne and I all have psychology class together and so we tend to chat and gossip a lot during these lessons. A while ago Jack wanted me to do some 'investigating work' and ask Liz if she had any feelings for him and so I later asked Liz in private if she did have any feelings. Liz said 'No'. I decided that it was best to not say anything to Jack as I didn't want to hurt his feelings (as he still loves her) and hoped that he would just forget the topic all together.

Now this is where things start to get...messy. Over the last month or so Liz and I have become close, we hang out a lot, have long conversations and do what normal friends do...however I think that our relationship is starting to change into a more...romantic one I guess?? We are very cuddly and flirty around each other, I've actually kissed her (in a friendship sort of way)before now and we've held hands, nothing unusual or serious to it but I think I might be starting to fall for her. She also admitted some things saying that she would make out with me if she could and hugs me whenever I am near, I'm not sure whether she just joking around or if she actually means it. I get the impression that she is either too shy to say/do anything that WOULD classify our relationship as romantic or if she is just being friendly. I too am extremely shy and I like to be very careful as I don't like the idea of me falling for someone and getting hurt or rejected so I have kept it low key... I am also aware that Jack would probably rip my head off if I did get into a relationship with Liz and so I need to be careful...

Yesterday the group and I were playing a game called 'truth' where we have to answer questions truthfully, Jack ask me if I 'had any secrets that I was keeping from him'. At first I joked and said 'yea I do' just to tease him, we tend to play jokes on each other as a laugh. For an hour I kept him guessing what my 'secret' was but I eventually told him that I had no secret and I was just dicking about (Jack has done this to me countless times). However this is when Jack started to get angry at me. He said I was lying and that I did have a secret even though I said countless times that there was no secret. This is when he exploded stating that I wasn't telling the truth and had somehow come to the conclusion that I knew something about Liz's feelings towards him (which I do know but like I said above, I didn't want to get involved and I didn't have any conversations about his and Liz's relationship with him for a long time, I hoped he would just move on). I told him I held no secrets and now he's ignoring me...

The thing with Jack is that he has a temper and is very sensitive and I regret pretending to have a secret because now he isn't talking to me! I didn't mean to hurt his feelings and it wasn't even that bad! He's done worse to me like stealing my phone, bag and shoe at one point and making me believe that there were essays due in days earlier than they actually were! Liz told me to let him sulk for a few days and that he'll get over it...

The thing that I am worried about now though is I feel as if things are about to explode out of control, Jack is already pissed off with me and if Liz and I go deeper into our relationship...then shit is going to go down. A part of me would really like to get into a relationship with Liz however another part of me is warning me to stay away and just forget about this idea. I don't want any more trouble to be caused and I don't want the group to be separated just before we go to University and leave each other on a bad note.

What should I do? should I just wait until I go to uni to get into a relationship then perhaps? Or should I try and see where Liz and I might end up with the risk of Jack hating me forever for taking away his crush... ??? Sorry for long post and thanks for reading, advice would be nice! :icon_bigg

2. NateC7

Honestly, I think you should just point out all the things he's done (the stealing your stuff, lying,) and say that you were just getting back at him. Hopefully that'll make sense to him and make him calm down a little.

Furthermore, If Liz is more into girls and you two are getting closer together, then that's great and you should continue that relationship. It might also be good for you to suggest to Liz that she and Jack have a conversation about this.

Jack might end up hating you in the end, but if he's really your friend he'll understand.

3. confusedbubble

As above Liz and jack need to sit down together and speak, also it sounds like jack needs to take the hint that Liz isn't into him any more and move on.
    You also need to sit down with Liz and tell her you have feelings for her, don't let her get away because of her ex boyfriend not being able to move on.
    Keep us updated

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I agree with the poster above, if Jack and Liz talk it out, then Jack will understand that she doesn't want him.

5. thesecretcat

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:
    Here is a news update...

So last night (shortly after I posted on here) Jack texted me saying:' Just tell me the secret and stop teasing me, it's driving me crazy and I don't appreciate it!' So like I had many times I told him there was no secret. This is when Jack starting becoming a complete dick and saying stuff like 'You shouldn't lie, I know you know something about Liz's feelings!' I ended the conversation saying that it is none of my business and that he and Liz should talk...
    He didn't text back (thank god!)
    So I came into college today and Liz texted me to ask if the situation was any better with Jack. I told her what happened and she told me that Jack was now completely ignoring her and Anne. Jack won't even sit with them at lunch and tends to disappear and avoid them completely. Liz and Anne haven't even done/said anything to Jack and he is being COMPLETELY over the top.
    Anyway later on today I went to psychology and, low and behold, Jack was there. He ignored me completely and wouldn't even acknowledge I was there. I tried to speak to him yesterday but now I have given up because I can't put up with his childish attitude. God that lesson was a long and awkward hour and Anne wasn't in psychology class today so I was alone with him D: Liz has told me to ignore him and I will, If he texts me I'm not even going to reply.

Oh god my fears are coming true and the group is starting to break up!!
    Thank you for reading my posts and giving me advice, any other advice would also be appreciated :slight_smile:

6. confusedbubble

I would still speak to Liz about your feelings for her, don't let everything fall apart because of her ex not being able to take rejection go for it and keep us updated it .

sounds like she's got away from a wrong one no one likes people that lie and steal

7. NateC7

I'm sorry to hear that the situation hasn't improved at all. But I agree with confusedbubble as well. You should share your feelings with Liz, but maybe not right now since things are heated up in your group of friends.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yikes. I don't know what to say, but I can offer you support.