1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I made a friend over youtube

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Truna, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Truna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bear with me here, this is kind of a long read and a really oddly specific situation. TL;DR at the end.

She made nerdy videos and I subscribed to her. After about two years of fangirling over her in every video, she responded to me in a comment chain where we flirted endlessly back and forth. Then we friended each other on Facebook, which I barely use (which will be a relevant fact later on).

At this point it seemed like things were going swimmingly, but after a while I realized I didn't really want to keep our interactions constant. Why, you ask?
    - For one thing, we basically wrote extremely long letters to each other through Facebook messaging. That kind of tired me out, trying to respond to every one of her points in a really long message. I got too lazy to write a lot at times.
    - For another, she's four years older than me. I'm 15. She's intimidatingly nice, and I have no idea why she'd remotely take interest in me. Also a 19 year old all the way in Europe who takes the time to befriend a 15 year old American over lesbian shipping videos she made is kind of out there and I really don't know what to think about this. I'm definitely flattered that she'd even want to send one message to me, but like.. letters that take 30 minutes to write..? wat
    - Since I barely use Facebook, am closeted and parents don't approve of my talking to strangers (which is wise but hey not everyone on the internet is a pedophile), I had to hide these interactions. It was kind of tiring.

Combining all that with a big dose of laziness, I kind of didn't respond to her one day and ended up losing contact with her for three months just by not checking Facebook. Today, though, I finally messaged her again after she posted another video. I know I was a dick to just not respond for so long and leave her hanging, which is a trait I usually hate in other people..
    A major thing though is that she actually forgives me for this. She says she was actually WORRIED about me in the time I had been gone, when before that we had only been talking for three weeks or so. I'm kind of overwhelmed and expected her to hate me but plot twist...
    What are your thoughts on my situation? What should I do if I want to either stop messaging her or keep messaging her?

TL;DR: Got to know a girl on the internet who's significantly older than me, got too lazy/busy to keep in contact with her. Messaged her again recently and she welcomes me with open arms. I'm kind of shocked at her kindness, probably just overreacting but w/e

2. NateC7

I'm sorry but I do think you are overreacting just a teeny tiny bit. You guys sound like you're good friends so naturally she would be worried about you not saying anything for a while. Continue messaging her because I think you guys have a good friendship going for you :slight_smile: At least in my opinion.

3. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nothing wrong with being friends with someone over the Internet. Keep talking and try to enjoy it :slight_smile: