1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed feelings

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hobbes, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I've been talking with a guy online for almost two weeks. He seems like a good guy and he lives close enough that we can see each other. We made plans for this Friday (it feels safe), and I would really like to go and meet him. But, being in the closet, I'm worried about thow to keep this secret from my roommates and friends. I don't know how they feel about me being gay. And if I say I'm going on a date, they'll want to know with who. Right now, I want to stay in the closet and manage to see this guy. We're all members of the same church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). While I love my church and her members, they're traditional. So, my problem is how do I get through this mess without coming out just yet?

2. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're just going to have to lie about what you're doing and hope that you don't run into anyone you know while out. It's pretty easy to pull off, I did it in 2 short relationships when I first started accepting my sexuality. I don't recommend doing it long term. It's not a fun way to live. But if you hit it off with the guy, more motivation to come out! It's totally doable. Just make sure he's ok with you not being out and open.

p.s. I admire your hufflepuff pride :-*

#2 VampireGrin, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your advice. I'll try it, and hope that it works.

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, it's your life, not theirs, so who cares? You are you.

5. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It is a difficult situation. Perhaps the best thing to do is to assess the likelihood that people will find out and how they would most likely react. If it then seems like there's a relatively low risk then go ahead. If you could be caught and hurt in the process then maybe it's best to ere on the side of caution and wait until you can go to meet this person safely.

As for the religious element, just remember that some people will have different attitudes regardless of religion. For example, I'm a Catholic but that doesn't mean I can't be bi, be pro-choice and believe in evolution. I'm not saying you should tell them for sure, but keep an open mind and remember that people can surprise you.

Hope this helps and best of luck. :slight_smile: