1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad's "concerned about my lungs" (re: binder)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by sailingonwards, Jan 11, 2016.

1. sailingonwards

So I have asthma, which results in a lot of coughing. A few weeks ago, I told my dad that I bought a chest binder. He did a little bit of research (he can't cite his sources, just "somewhere on the internet", but tries to shout down mine like "so it's anecdotal evidence from one person" and I counter by saying that it's the lived experience of someone in the same situation) and now tries to stop me from binding because of my asthma and he says he's noticed me coughing a lot more lately. I've been coughing like mad for the past month and a half, but I only got my binder a month ago. I only wear it one or two days of the week, maybe three at the most. And I don't wear it for more than eight hours. He says I can't order another binder and he goes on about health problems every time I bring up binding.

What can I do to still bind effectively and still keep my asthma under control? And how do I talk to my dad about it?
    (I haven't fully come out to my parents, although they did ask me recently how I identified and I was totally unprepared so I just said "can I explain later" and I still haven't told them.)