1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by lilgoldfish, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lilgoldfish

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure about my family. My mom, although she is a democrat, is very opinionated. And my dad is a republican. Up until this point, I'd been led to believe that he's "republican with democratic beliefs" or whatever, but I don't know if I was being delusional, as being a democrat is "good" in my household. I know that my uncle (dad's side) is homophobic, and I don't know if that's from their childhood or anything like that. It would tear me apart to hurt my relationship with him, we're pretty close. Thoughts?

2. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm... Don't feel qualified to give you a "should". Not all the way out myself. The only thing I know that might be helpful in your situation is that you can't please all of your family no matter what you do. Think about your own feelings, and what you can live with or without.

3. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I understand that the situation can be difficult when you don't know how your parents will react, so it must be a pretty difficult situation for you. What I would do is try and figure out more accurately how your parents feel about the LGBT+ community. Try bringing up a recent news story about it or try and work in something about it into a conversation and see how they react. Also try and remember that their political beliefs won't completely affect how they feel about you and your sexuality. People can surprise you and if they truly love you then they can try and find a way to accept you even if it doesn't align with their beliefs and morals.

In the end, you are the only one who can decide when it's right for you to come out if you even want to. Follow your heart, don't feel pressured to wait or rush into it and be safe. Good luck. :slight_smile: