1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My "relationship" drama

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gamm, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This will probably be a long read so I'll do a TLDR at the end, but if you can please do.

I am in quite the dilemma right now. So, this guy (we'll call him Tim) and I have been talking for about a month and a half now, but we've known each other for like 2 years. We remained strictly friends until I started freshmen year at our college which is when he started to come on to me. (Quick note: he's a sophomore) I was perfectly fine with it because I've always had a crush on him and found myself to really like him when we started to flirt and mess around a little (We've made out at parties drunk and cuddle from time to time)

Everything was going fine for us until after a wild New Years Party. Long story short, he got too drunk, became a shitshow, and admitted that he wanted a relationship with me in the car in the pouring rain. I played it off and told him we should get him home and that was the end of the night. After that, I went over to his place 2 days later and we were cuddling in his bed watching tv. He began rubbing my back and kissing me which got me hot and I started to rub his crotch. He stopped me and told me we weren't gonna go that far unless we started dating. That's when problems started. I told him I didn't think it'd be the right choice at the moment. My reasons were that I'm a selfish person and don't know whether I could put my all into a relationship. He didn't like my answer and it became a whole argument. Needless to say, I got mad and left. He tried to stop me, but I wasn't having any of it.

Quickly afterwards I cooled down and we talked it out. He understood or I thought he did. We agreed that we'll just hold off until I'm ready for a relationship. Here's where the big dilemma comes in. I recently just found out about a week ago that he's been banging other girls and guys (he's bi) I confronted him about it and his exact response was "It's none of your business, we're both single and can do what we want. I'll gladly stop if you tell me you're ready to be with me, but until then, I'm gonna do me" I was infuriated. I know we're not together and he can do what he wants, but it's like he's trying to hurt me. Idk what to do. I still don't think I'm ready right now, but I also don't want to face the fact that he'll be in bed with others until then. I'm lost. I'm supposed to go visit him while I'm in his town this weekend (we're still on winter break) since my god sister has an event I promised I'd attend, so idk how our meetup will go. Please help!

TLDR; talking to a guy, he wants a relationship, I tell him I need time, he accepts but fucks others and won't stop until we're dating, I can't handle it and feel confused on what to do.

2. NateC7

This might be hard to hear but it sounds like maybe you shouldn't pursue a relationship with this guy. It sounds like he's challenging you and trying to control you, which is not a good thing.

I think it would be better to just move on from him before you get hurt.

3. Ryuji35

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, he's got a point.

BUT

He is obviously manipulating and emotionally blackmailing you. Not a good sign for me.

NEXT.

4. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's weird because he's such a sweet guy and very protective of me. He takes me out to eat, spends time with me, always tells me I'm on his mind. Idk if he understands how much this hurts me because it isn't like him. I'm usually the demanding one and trying to tell him what to do, but it's just me being a little bossy, no harm lol. Maybe when I see him tomorrow we'll be able to talk about it, idk.

5. CameOutSwinging

Question - did he go out of his way to tell you that he is having sex with people? Or did you find out on your own through other people?

Depending on which it is, I think things work out differently.

If you found out independent of him, then I actually think he's perfectly in the right. You said you weren't ready to be in a relationship with him. He didn't cut you out of his life, he said cool, and if it happens, it happens. You take the risk of possibly losing him to somebody else if he meets somebody before you're ready. But since you guys aren't dating exclusively (and I do think there's a version of dating where you can be exclusive without being super serious "I have a toothbrush at his apartment" mode right away...it's called taking things slow, and it does count as a relationship) then I really don't see why it is a problem that he is sleeping with others. It makes you jealous because you have feelings for him, but that's not his intention. I actually think it's really telling that he doesn't want to have sex with you unless you're dating exclusively, as it means he has feelings for you and doesn't want them to get deeper without the commitment of some sort. He's having sex with other people because they don't mean anything to him. Heck, it could in part be to help him try and not be so hung up on you if he feels like he is.

On the complete other hand, if he's the one telling you that he's having sex with others - sort of rubbing it in your face - then it is to specifically make you jealous, which comes off as highly manipulative.

6. Aof

Aof

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well you told him to hold off even tho he seems to be really into you, so it kinda hurt him too. I feel like he is trying to move on and think of you less. You are the one that told him to hold off, which is pretty much mean you shouldn't feel bad if he sleep around or both of you find other people in the mean time and he assume you would understand that since you and him are not boyfriend. If you want more time to think about relationship then say that and work together, but if you put thing on hold, its pretty much saying "i kinda want to stop but I'm not sure yet." I don't think he is trying to manipulate you or making you jealous. It's not like he is making out in front of you or something like that.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2016 at 04:17 PM ----------

yep pretty much what Cameoutswinging said

7. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just to clear up all of the questions,

I found out about him having sex with others through my friends. He's been hooking up with people that are friends of my friends. One specific case that I was told about happened the day of our argument. He never said anything about it until I asked.

When I told him I wasn't ready yet, it was clear that we'd still see each other, we just won't be official for the time being. Again, I didn't want things to go south because of my problems. But hey, maybe I'm selfish for thinking he shouldn't have contact with anyone even though he's "single"

I really do like him and I would love for it to work, but I don't want to mess everything up just for the sake of being together. Why do we have to be officially boyfriends for him to not sleep around? I invest my time in him and only him even though we're not together, but he doesn't do the same. I probably shouldn't expect it because that's life, but it still hurts. Idk.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's his choice if he wants to sleep around. If you don't like it, then, maybe you should let him go.

9. Aof

Aof

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    well it is not gonna work if you don't want relationship with the guy but don't want him to sleep around with whoever he wants. Your status with him is friend or that special friend. So going up to a friend and said you cant sleep around because i like you but I don't want relationship with you gonna sound weird. It is best to just talk to him on what both of you can agree on and what not. Like CameOutSwinging said, you can take it slow and study/ get to know each other deeper first and still not be officially boyfriends, but you have to get use to it that he can sleep around and look for someone else because the fact that you are not his and he is not yours. Can't really tell him to not sleep around until you guys are boyfriends. If you cant handle him seeing/being with someone else, I would say move on, since you are not really ready to be with anyone at this time and still keep him as friend.

#9 Aof, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. robclem21

Unfortunately for you, I agree with him. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't want to be with him, you can't expect him to save a special space for you and not explore other options with other people. He said if you are ready to commit then he will stop being with others. I don't think its fair for you to ask anything more of him.

It sounds like you are jealous, and being quite selfish. What is it really that's keeping you out of a relationship with him cause to be honest, I don't really buy the excuse you gave him...

11. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I actually agree with him. You aren't dating. Just because you "might" want to date him in the future, doesn't mean he should put his life on hold. He can do what he wants, you don't have any claim on him.

12. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're not buying it idk what to tell you. I genuinely just don't know if I'm ready right now. Every time I think about us being together everything that could go wrong pops up in my head and I don't want to damage what we have because of my selfish ways. You even pointed out how I'm selfish.

I'll talk to him though. I'm still meeting him tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.

13. warthog

Ok every one views his story from his angle, and every one has a point. now I know that most of you would think it's none of Gamm's business if his crush Tim went sleeping around, which is yeh correct. but I think what's bothering Mr. Gamm - and please correct me if i'm wrong darling - is that Tim didn't want to go any further than kissing and back rubbing with Gamm "until we start dating" and he found out that he's sleeping around with various genders and people, and perhaps species.
    So, doesn't anyone see anything wrong with that ? obviously he wouldn't be officially dating several people at once, unless he's a major douche. Well, it could be flattering that Gamm has his special place and that he's the only one he wouldn't touch without a contract, but it's probably not supposed to make anyone feel good...

my two cents

14. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, I'm back finally. Here's what happened.

While on my way to go see him, I told him we needed to talk and he said ok. I'm pretty sure he knew what it was about because when I got to his house he suggested we go on a drive. Probably because he didn't want his parents to hear us, but whatever. On the drive I laid out all my feelings. How I really like him, how I'm conflicted about us and what we are, how I'm jealous that he's in bed with others and how it hurts me, everything. At one point I thought I was gonna cry because it was so much, but I held it together. His response (while yelling I add) was that he likes me a lot and all he really wants is a relationship with me. He doesn't know why I'm making this so difficult and painful. He did admit that banging other people helped him with waiting on me, but "it didn't mean shit because I was just looking to get laid" typical of him because he can be a man whore. He doesn't deal with his feelings the best way at times. I asked him what are we gonna do and he simply replied saying its up to me. I told him more time. I could tell that's not the answer he wanted, but he accepted it.

We hung out for the rest of the day. It was awkward at first, but we warmed to each other again. It was a pleasant day. I texted him an hour ago telling him that if he's still gonna sleep around I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. It's not my business because we're not together. He replied with a simple "ok" and I didn't text back.

So yeah, there's that.

15. Afterfshn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh god that is such a cold response!

But Maybe it his strategy to get you jealous, so you would give in to a relationship. But when you go in a relationship about what can go wrog because that Will mean you Will be alone forever. Maybe you are afraid for labeling? Maybe you guys can discuss not sleeping with people and just date. Maybe that is THE first step to a relationship

16. HunterRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He shouldn't have yelled at you. That's not a healthy way to talk to somebody who's sitting right next to you, even if you're having an argument. Has he blown up at you or at anyone else like that before?

Afterfshn has a point, if you want to you could try going on a few dates but not be insta-boyfriends/in a relationship. Taking it slow isn't a bad thing.

Can I ask (if this isn't too personal a question) why you feel you wouldn't be able to put your all into a relationship? What aspects of a relationship would you find difficult to manage?

17. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He's yelled at me but only if we've ever argued. This yelling was more frustration though. I could tell he's very passionate about making this official, but yeah you're right he shouldn't have yelled.

I just don't know if I could be the boyfriend I would like to be. I can be selfish at times and I'm the type of person that will get so caught up in what I'm doing that I forget to be a boyfriend if you know what I mean. Last thing I want is to breakup because of things about me that I know are a problems.

18. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To me it sounds like you have confidence issues at least. If you have personality traits that you objectively think are harmful for a relationship have you considered consulting with a psychologist? Most such things can be worked out by professional guidance.

Then on the second note. Have you told this guy exactly why you feel unsure about starting a relationship. Could you just be very open about these issues with him, tell him those are your limitations and you work on them. Then let him decide if he is still interested.

19. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No offence- and forgive me if this sounds insensitive, but I believe that you are being quite immature. It is perfectly normal to see other people when you aren't dating someone officially. Even then, when going on dates with other people, it is by no means indicative of anything serious. You are forgetting the point of dating entirely. It is not a commitment in the sense that it is like a binding contract- but it is instead your chance to test the waters with this partner of yours- both on a platonic and intimate level- and see if the two of you are truly compatible. Even then, dating, 'seeing someone' and being exclusive are all entirely separate things that each must be discussed separately. Never assume anything until it is discussed mutually.

You have asked him for just friendship, but you hold him against the same expectations to that of what long term committed couples are engaged in. Your self esteem issues are none of his concerns. You mentioning that he has 'hurt' you because of his private life which he did not initially disclose to you even though the two of you are just close friends at most, is quite silly. Do not guilt trip him- he has no commitments to you.

The best solution is to talk (which you have done) without using emotionally manipulative terms (such as how he has hurt you). I also believe it is quite rich of you to pontificate about his flaws in terms of dealing with emotions and wanting to have a healthy sex life when you attempted to similarly engage in such activities with a him as a FRIEND. If I were him and I was made aware of your harsh reflection on him as being a "man whore" and the condescending tone with which you have engaged us with in terms of his emotional maturity, I would double think engaging in a relationship with such a person.

Just my 2 cents

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2016 at 08:26 AM ----------

Fyi, we have a word for wanting to have sex with someone without the baggage of a relationship (e.g. rubbing his crotch which would have led to more had he not stopped you). It is called: NSA fun, no strings attached, 'friends with benefits'. Now this doesn't sound like you does it? It is worse than a one night stand as it involves both an ongoing emotional and physical bond but without the relationship. It is an absolutely awful place to be in when two people are not on the same page.

#19 Mystory, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  20. Gamm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see what you're saying Mystory, but I think you're misinterpreting a few things which may be my fault.

When I referred to him not handling situations in the best way and called him a man whore, I say this from what I've seen from him in prior experiences. He's almost ruined his life (and almost lost a scholarship) last year because of problems he's had in life by drinking and having sex to "numb him" as he would say. He's been known to be a man whore as well because he used to be a player. Especially when I first met him 2 years ago. He was constantly on the look out for someone to bang.

Also I have acknowledged that I'm selfish and that what I did was immature. That's the reason I texted him that night and told him that I'll just have to suck it up even though I don't like it because it's none of my business. But thanks for reinforcing that statement.

Lastly, we've both established that we're not just friends. There's something more, it's just complicated. I've only been in one relationship, so this is a little new to me as the other one just sort of happened. Maybe I just wasn't acquainted with the whole "talking" phase and went overboard.

#20 Gamm, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016