1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm in love with my best friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Piranha Terry, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Piranha Terry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I met this guy four months ago at university. We've gradually been becoming better and better friends at an extremely alarming speed. Let's call this guy "John".

So about two and a half months ago when we had to spend some time apart for the first time in our friendship, I realised that I actually really love John. At the time I wasn't sure whether I loved him in a sexual attraction kind of way or just in a friendship kind of way.

Over the next couple of months our friendship starts developing rapidly. I begin to feel depressed when I can't see John for a prolonged amount of time and we begin to see each other at least one night a week, going to each other's rooms and such. My attraction to him blooms further during this time.

John treats me way differently to everybody else he knows at university. He definitely feels like my best friend by this point and I highly suspect he has similar feelings for me. We promise that we will spend two or three days at each other's homes during the Christmas holidays.

So this week we finally got around to visiting each other's homes and in total we spent 5 days together. And I've gotta say, those were some of the best days I've ever had. I can't begin to describe how much I love John. Just looking at him makes me so happy. I have never been so attracted to someone in my life.

John obviously loves me to some extent as well. There have been tons of moments during our friendship that have led me to believe this. But I can't tell if he just loves me as a friend, or if he has some kind of attraction to me.

During the early days of our friendship, I noticed he said he was going to an LGBT related event on Facebook a while back - this makes me think there is a fair chance that he is either gay or bi. I know it's not proof but it makes you wonder.

I'm not really looking for a relationship with him - at least I don't think so - but at the same time I literally cannot get enough of him. I will never get sick of this guy.

But I'm just so confused. Do you think we just seem like really close friends or do you think there could be some kind of sexual attraction involved? What I plan to do is to kind of jokingly tell him I love him and see how he reacts. What can I lose? He obviously thinks a lot of me and he clearly supports LGBT.

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He may have been testing a bit with telling you he was attending the event to gauge your reaction. It is possible that he feels similarly. I wouldn't jokingly tell him you love him. At some point one of you is going to have to be brave enough to just put it out there. Have you told him that you're bi?

3. VampireGrin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight friends who've only known each other for 4 months don't plan how many days a week they're going to see each other. He likes you. You like him. Go for it!

#3 VampireGrin, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Piranha Terry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't, but I haven't exactly hidden it from him if you know what I mean.

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is adorable. I would like to focus on something you said. You said that you're not looking for a relationship with him. Why?

6. Piranha Terry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Our friendship is good enough as it is so I can't say I'd be that bothered if it never turned into a relationship. But I would like to know if he wants a relationship if the case may be, just so that I can make him happy.