1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicidal

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FoxEars, Jan 18, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is short, I know. I need to get straight to the point here.
    My friend is suicidal, and tried to kill themselves last night. I've worked tirelessly to help, support and comfort them over the last day. I haven't eaten or slept since I found out. I've been shaking non-stop. I'm sure that I can do so much more to try and help them. I just don't know what, please please help. I can't lose them, they mean the world and over to me.

#1 FoxEars, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  2. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    Alright, take a deep breath.
    Now I know this sort of think is really difficult but it'll be okay, okay? Are they receiving help, as in help from professional sources? Because you have to know there is only so much you yourself can do on your own and it is not healthy do be stressing out like this. You need to keep yourself calm, perhaps consider calling a help line (there's a lot of non-suicide help lines out there, a quick google search will help you there) for yourself. If you need someone to talk to I'm here. (*hug*)

3. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They have a counsellor but of course, they don't talk about everything to her. I'm not really bothered about myself right now, I don't matter. I need to help them as they don't do well with professional sources.

4. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    Okay, but you do in fact matter. Look at it this way; you feel your friend needs you, correct?

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but right now I'm focusing on them. Look, I appreciate your kindness but this is about them. I don't want to stray away from the topic.

6. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you know why they tried to commit suicide?

7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes but I am not prepared to share this.

8. Gay1234

I second Southern Stoic advice as the advice is exactly what I was thinking. He is right about the help but I think they should open up to their counsellor as this may help a lot, well overall it's their own choice. Well Anyway I hope they get better soon.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

#8 Gay1234, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  9. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Their counsellor forced them to tell their parents that they're bisexual and gave them a letter for their parents to sign to make sure that they can be bi...i don't think that they're gonna open up to their counsellor....
    I've been trying to keep calm, as you've both advised, but it's quite hard knowing what's going on. I think they're starting to feel a little better, edging away from the idea of suicide. I'll continue to support them and make sure that they know I'm here for them.
    Thanks Southern Soic and Gay1234

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be sure to take care of yourself as well. Being in these situations can be draining. One thing that I have learned is that I cannot help others if I do not take care of myself first. It sounds like you have done what you can do for now.

11. magic

I replied in your other thread with some stuff about this but after reading this i noticed something. You said that they have a counselor. In Australia counselors dont need qualifications they can literally be some random person off the street who wants to help people. That isnt beneficial for the person and can do more harm than good. Psychologists, doctors and psychiatrists on the other hand are all qualified with degrees and know how to help using scientifically tested ways of making people feel better. Could you suggest that your friend sees a psychologist, or a psychiatrist? Or at the very least a doctor? Im not sure if the same laws apply about counselors and qualifications for them are the same in England but just in case i though i would say that.

What that counselor did sounds like a strange thing to do especially if they forced it. If they dont have a healthy relationship (I dont think thats the right choice of words but i cant think of anything better.) it might be best to find someone else for them to talk to you could even help them find a psychologist near them.

Now i know that you said you werent prepared to share why your friend wanted to end their life which makes sense. If its possible you might be able to help problem solve what is going on, or just listen sometimes just listening can help a lot.

12. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I listen to them whenever they need me, I listen to everyone really. I don't talk much.
    I'm just gonna say that you can't change the past, so all I can do is listen to them and support them.

13. magic

Its really good that you listen to them when ever someone needs you. You sound like a very caring person towards your friends and everyone.

I had a conversation with someone once who was feeling down and i didnt say much at all and just listened. Later on they said that talking to me helped a lot. Sometimes you dont need to say that much at all just knowing that someone is there and cares to listen about what is happening can help a lot.

True you cant change the past you can only change the future and you are doing a lot for your friend by listening to them and supporting them.

14. Gay1234

OMG scrap my advice if that's what the counsellor did. I honestly don't know what to say it continue to be there as it may feel that you are not helping but they may feel a bit of comfort. A bit is better than nothing eh?