1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Pikachu181, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Pikachu181

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey guys, so I've been trying to figure this out, and thought it'd be best to get other peoples' opinions on the subject.

So I know this girl through the internet. We've been talking for the past few months, and I really like her and have feelings for her. I found out that she does too, and we've been talking about a relationship. At first I was all for it, but now that I've been thinking about it more...

It's long distance, and by that I mean she lives in a completely different country. While I would love to go out with her, part of me doesn't think it would work. The idea of us meeting up somehow isn't realistic, considering my family and hers. She's also about a year younger than me, and I know how that can work.

I know that most likely, in the long run, we'll just stop talking or something will happen. Part of me wants to cut it off now in order for there to be less grief on her part. I feel like it's selfish of me to want to keep going with something that'll die eventually. I don't think it's fair for her.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this subject, thanks for the help.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having been in a long-distance relationship for two years, I'm a firm believer than they can work. However, both parties have to be committed to the relationship and there has to be steady communication. I also think it's important that the distance has a deadline--even if it's years off--and that you're able to visit at some point, no matter how occasional. If neither of you are willing to consider moving to the others' country, that's something you might want to know now. It's obviously not a decision that has to be made right now but if it's not even a possibility that can be a big problem in the future.

Long-distance is very hard and it's not for everyone. If you're interested, talk to her about your doubts and see what she says. If the two of you decide not to pursue a relationship, that doesn't mean you have to completely stop talking.