1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating an ex?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by quietafterrain, Jan 20, 2016.

1. quietafterrain

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was wondering what's your opinion on dating exes?

So currently, I'm best friends with one on my exes, and we live together with a couple other friends. Recently, I've started having some feelings again, and have thought about what it would be like if we ever got back together. We're really close as best friends and just know each other and get along almost too well. She's someone I'd consider a platonic soulmate really.

Personally, I tend to fall for people I'm friends with and (my 1st ex - I've only dated 2 people - was someone I was good friends at the time) befriend exes after we break up. The first time it didn't work out well and ended kinda badly, and this time things have been pretty great. In both instances, they broke up with me, first for wanting to just be friends, and second because they weren't attracted to me.

I know it's not the greatest idea to get back together with an ex (plus I know it would have to be mutual and if it isn't it would be awkward), but I've noticed this pattern is something I've experienced thus far. Dating a really good friend, breaking up, befriending them, (and if we stay good friends) then kinda having feelings again, then probably getting over it. Plus, in this case I know if things didn't work out, it would be kinda awkward since we live together.

Opinions? Please help! :icon_sad:

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First a general note. There were reasons why people brake up and unless those reasons are corrected it's unlikely it's going to work out any better than the last time.

Then more specific to your case. It sounds like a horrible idea. First, she left you so what makes you think she would have any interest in dating you again? Second, if you ask her you run the risk of making the friendship awkward. You need to see other people.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Euler. If they broke up with you because they weren't attracted to you, then it's probably not a good idea to suggest getting back together. Couples break-up for a lot of reasons. Some of those reasons can be solved with time. Most of them can't. There's a definite risk that things will get awkward if you want to get back together and they're not attracted to you and just want to be friends.