1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best friend said some pretty hurtful things

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FrogFriend, Jan 21, 2016.

1. FrogFriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok, so this kid has been my best friend for over a year. We get along and (usually) support each other through everything, from tiny little bumps to suicidal thoughts. We've literally dragged each other from the edge and are basically siblings.

So, naturally he was the first person I came out too. He was a little shocked, but came to accept it and we got along well. Until lately.
    You see, he and I have always kinda butted heads over relationship stuff. He's always been super picky about girls, always super show-offy about them, but hey, nothing wrong with that. Meanwhile, I was still uncertain with my sexuality and never really got around to romance.
    Once again, this changed. I got a girlfriend. She's amazing, and naturally I went to him and told him. He reacted... unenthusiastically. So I focused mostly on another best friend, who is much more excited to see me finally getting somewhere.
    So, basically, since then he's become really passive aggressive. Once I made a comment about how I need to work on my charming skills, and got met with "yeah, you seem like you'd suck at that". I barely tried to speak to him about it, again because he tends to be immature about relationships.
    So, finally I had enough of him only talking to throw in a rude remark. I asked him if I have been bothering him, thinking that maybe he was having a bad day and I didn't notice.
    That's when he told me that "I was acting too gay and obsessed over my girlfriend so much that it's basically become my personality"
    I was upset, honestly. I broke down and cried a little because he was one of two people that even know about me being lesbian, let alone having a girlfriend. I apologized, but I still feel pretty bad.

2. MaximusMike

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations on coming out and getting a girlfriend!
    It sounds to me as if your friend is more a little jealous, and as far as I can tell, for two reasons.
    1. He can see that your girlfriend will take your time away from him, and thus feels threatened or hostility towards you and your relationship.
    2. If he doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment, he might also be jealous of the fact you're currently more successful with women than he is, particularly since he's always been the more successful one of the two, he feels like he has been dethroned.
    I think he's expressing this jealousy against you by targeting a perceived weakness: your sexuality. You just need to keep trying to be a good friend, and be your normal self, and hopefully he'll come around.
    Anyway, this is just my opinion, but good luck with it!

3. NateC7

I do agree with MaximusMike that he probably is jealous. I'm going to be blunt here and say that he just needs to get over it. Continue sharing your time between your girlfriend and your best friends and maybe the jealousy will pass. I'm not saying it will for sure but maybe if he sees that you're treating him no differently than before you had a girlfriend, then he'll be a little better about it.

4. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, he needs to get over it. He makes it seem like your his girlfriend. Maybe he wants you, but it can't happen.

5. Gay1234

Your friend definetly is jealous and he does need to get over it. I hope for your own good he does and that ye remain friends. But if he doesn't get over it then he's not a true friend is he?

Good Luck,
    Gay1234