1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with same-sex infatuation to your straight friend(s)?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by roryoswinpond, Jan 23, 2016.

1. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's kinda been bumming me out lately.

2. Gomez

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been there! It's not easy. I just realized that it's perfectly okay to hold a torch for someone, to daydream about them, but just like an LGBT+ friend who's just not into you... sometimes it's not meant to be.

I would say... focus on being your wonderful self, and you'll be surprised what new and wonderful people find their way into your life. There are other fish in the sea, and in the meantime you've got to enjoy what you have. Best wishes. <3

3. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It’s perfectly normal. Irrational – but normal.

I think the best thing you can do is acknowledge the feeling, and then let it go.

Of course, letting it go is the hard part.

I think the best way to let it go is to ask this question: “What is this infatuation costing me?”

By focusing so much of your attention on something that you can’t change or control – something that is out of your grasp - you could be missing out on all sorts of other great opportunities. When you have tunnel vision, you fail to see what’s going on around you.

As I said – there’s nothing wrong or abnormal about the yearning. It’s ok to experience the emotion. Just don’t dwell on it too long – don’t let it stop you from seeking out other relationships.

#3 Cort, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, are you out to them? And are you 100% sure they are straight?

It's easier to let go and move on once you know for sure they can't return your feelings. Coming out is helpful if you feel comfortable doing that.

Meanwhile, try and go out, meet new people, make new friends etc, it can help distract you :slight_smile:

#4 WhiteShadows, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard but, you just gotta let them go. Spend some time away from that person and distract yourself.