1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with my "friends"

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by grizzleybear33, Jan 24, 2016.

1. grizzleybear33

I am a junior in college and up until now I had a solid group of friends...or so I thought. I have been studying abroad for this past semester and so I wasn't in the US to coordinate housing with them but yesterday I found out 3 of my "friends" were signing a housing contract without me. Since freshmen year I have hung out with them and pretty much only them so it's hard for me to believe that they didn't know I wanted to live with them. I tried to talk with them about it but they didn't really say much. One of them is a people pleaser so he will say anything to stay on good terms with everyone but one of the other ones told me that I should have "taken the initiative" which I don't believe since like I said before they had to have known I want to live with them. This late in my college career I don't really want to find new friends but with things playing out like they are I feel like I am backed into a corner with nowhere to turn but to find new people to hang out with. The only problem with that is that at my stage I feel like it is kind of hard to find a group of people who are willing to accept someone new into their group. If anyone has a similar experience or some advice it wound be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's always time to try and meet people in college. My last year, between some drama with my existing friends and the graduation of some of my other friends, I set out to make new friends. I went to more parties and events to try and interact with people, and I tried to hang out with people who I had always been friendly with but never really hung out with before. It worked pretty well, and I had a great year.

3. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you sure that the snub was intentional? Could you be reading too much into it?

It’s really easy for communication lines to break down when distance is involved – this is especially true in college. They probably should have coordinated housing with you – but didn’t. You probably should have checked in with them earlier – but didn’t. These things happen.

Why is it that you have to be living with them in order to be remain friends? I had some great friends in college – and didn’t live with a single one of them. In fact, by not living with them there was less friction in the friendship since we didn’t have to be around each other 24/7.

If it’s not possible to live with these friends, I would work on finding somewhere else to live. But don’t be so quick to consider the friendship dead. I see no reason why you should have to start all over again with a new set of friends.