1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents and it didn't go well

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by goodbeat94, Jan 25, 2016.

1. goodbeat94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I decided to start the new year off by coming out to my parents. It went badly.

The original plan was that I was gonna go out on a date with another guy I was talking to (guy ended up ditching me the day after I came out), so I used that as a way to come out to my folks. i wanted to be honest with them and I also felt ready to tell them. So i did. My mom wasn't too thrilled but she was calm about it. My dad, on other hand, went into hysterics and went into a quite selfish approach about it.

He claimed he was a bad parent saying "where did I go wrong" and "every worst possible thing that could happen to me is happening", he cried, he was depressed about it for a couple of days. And he was also angry at me. Saying things like "so you like a peckers in your mouth now? You wanna kiss another guy? Beard to beard? Mustache to mustache?", "if you bring another guy home I'll beat the s*** outta him". When I asked him what's so wrong about liking the same sex, he said "it just is, it's sickening". And he even proceeded to ask me questions about my childhood, he asked me if my cousin (who is also gay) touched me as a child. Of course he didn't touch me. My cousin would never do that. In fact, that very cousin let me stay with him for the entire weekend at his apartment and he supported me through this all and gave me good vibes and told me everything was gonna be ok. Never once did he try anything on me, because we are cousins. We're not gonna do anything like that. He's been a great cousin to me! And I'm glad he was around to help me and someone to talk to as well.

A few days ago, I was in the car with my dad and of course the subject of my sexuality came up and he asked me, "so is there any chance of you dating another girl at some point?" (Since I came out as bi to them). I told him I'm not sure. And he asks me "you know what? Do you want me to kiss you just so you can see how disgusting and unnatural it is for you to be kissing another guy?". I was like "dad that's incestuous that's gross" and he went "yeah exactly it's gross, just like being with another boy".

It's been about two and a half weeks since I came out, things haven't really changed besides my dad making those weird comments and asking weird questions that make me uncomfortable. My parents are still clinging to the idea I'll be with a woman soon. And it's absolutely irritating. They keep asking me if I've ever liked my friends and that if my girlfriends are available, I should date them. It's almost like they're making me feel ashamed that I like boys.

I feel like I'm still in the same rut as I used to be; Hiding myself from my parents. I thought if I came out to them, I could tell them about my dates, boys I'm talking to, and stuff like that. But obviously I can't. Because they don't wanna hear it. They haven't kicked me out or disowned me, thank goodness. But in a sense, it kinda feels like I have. Even though I haven't been. I kept asking them if they still loved me and they told me they still did. But I'm not sure how to deal with it.

My friends and my cousins have been mighty supportive of me. But it still hurts and I was hoping for a much better outcome but it didn't happen. I would appreciate any sort of advice or anything you can tell me. Because this is a really painful experience to go through.

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*) Even though that wasn't the outcome you expected, at least they haven't thrown you out or anything. At least you have friends and famlly and EC to count on. Honestly, I would just not do anything and keep doing the same thing you have been doing.

3. MaximusMike

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm so sorry to hear you've had a crappy coming out experience, mine was less than perfect, but it certainly wasn't abusive. Unfortunately, it's someone else's opinion that is affecting you, so it might be difficult to change. As bookreader said, just keep on trying to rebuke his bigotry.

See if you can get your cousin to talk to him as well, or even to your mum so she can talk to your dad. Hopefully, he'll come around, but it might only get to the point where he ignores your sexuality, but stops mouthing off to you about it.

Sorry I can't do or say more, I really hope it turns around for you!

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like your dad thinks he can change you with bullying. See if your mom can help him understand that he's really hurting you. His intentions might be that he's trying to save you. If so the silver lining is that he loves you. Sometimes people do the dumbest things trying to "help". Remember what they are saying is about their own hang ups, try not to take it in as part of who you are. Congratulations on having the incredible bravery it takes to come out.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are definitely brave to come out to your parents, and now remember it's not your fault for their homophobic behaviors. You should try to focus on your own life and not their idealized life for you. Keep up the connections with those who support you fully.

You really need to tell your mom to rein your dad in because he has some really twisted thoughts. I don't see how any "loving parent" could say such things. Do you have siblings?

6. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's hard hearing those things from them, but just for a second, remember that they grew up in a generation for different than ours. They were essentially taught to believe that being anything other than straight was wrong, but boy are THEY wrong.

I came out to my parents last year, and they didn't take it too well either (my dad in particular). He was like, SHIT (literally said that out loud). Then he went to the basement and stayed there for a while. I think he's still in denial, and he's even said he might not accept it till the day he dies (quite dramatic eh).

Just understand that although it didn't go very well, be thankful that it didn't turn out worse. I try to think of my coming out experience like that. A friend of mine who came out got threaten by his family members and cousin, but luckily he had a place to stay with a friend of his.

I'm sorry this coming out experience hurt you, I'm sure it has to all of us to some degree. But we're here for you!

#6 Jax12, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  7. confusedbubble

Sounds like you need to sit your parents down and tell them what they're saying about your sexuality is not going to change the way you are. The bullying is only going to drive you away from them when you do get into a serious relationship, you haven't changed you're still the same person you were before you came out to them you just thought they might want to know about something you've hiding from them.

8. Asterion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The best thing to do is to give him time. You cannot expect him to change his opinion in a matter of seconds so you can expect negative verbal responses to continue for some time. Try to find support in other family members who support you and may help to change his opinion. As long as it does not turn into abuse the best thing to do is to avoid talking about the subject with him for some time, then try to gradually test the waters.

9. goodbeat94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone for the advice and good vibes! I do so greatly appreciate it. I thought I would update you guys a bit. Currently my parents have calmed down quite a bit and things are a little more neutral now. My dad talked to me some more about my future. And he told me "well I don't know whether you're gay or bi or whatever, but I hope you find some sort of happiness". And that really brightened me up a little bit. He didn't really say it in the most sincere tone, but it shows he's beginning to come through. Which I'm very proud of. It's a small step, but certainly quite an improvement. Whether this is the end of negative comments is beyond me, highly doubtable. But I'm still satisfied.

No I don't. Wish I did. But I still have my friends and cousins to talk to about it. And if things get weird again, I'll speak to them about it.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's good your dad is coming around, and you might try to keep the ball rolling so they don't think you are going through a phase. Keep talking to friends and your cousins. Does your school have a GSA club?

11. goodbeat94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys. Thought I'd update you all on everything. I'm currently going through a ton at this point. My grandfather passed away last week and on top of that my Dad still really isn't coming around. Although he's somewhat calmer about the situation, I know it's still very uncomfortable for him.

He asked me if I wanted to go for therapy to which I said yes. A few days later, he gets into an argument with me and tells me that I hurt him. At this point, I just crack and say "are you serious? I hurt YOU? You hurt ME. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason I need therapy is because of you?", and he says mostly a bunch of crap and I then tell him that everything he told me a few months ago has stayed implanted in my brain. Idk if it made him think about it, but he's still giving me a hard time and I'm not sure what to do still.

I feel like they don't support me and where I'm coming from, and when I try to say something to that effect, they claim I'm unappreciative for the things they've done for me such as let me live here, the groceries they bought, the car and insurance they got for me, stuff like that. And I'm very appreciative of those things and I've made it abundantly clear with them about it but I'm still hurt. I'm still hurt by what they said and I've grown a sorta resentment toward my father. And I feel like he has for me as well, for some reason.

For instance, last week, when I was talking about something with my grandmother after my grandpa passed, he stops me and goes, "Ok Tyler, that's enough" and I felt so offended. I didn't say anything really bad or offensive, I was just talking to my grandma.

Again I'm not sure what to do, help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Remember that you shouldn't apologize for other people's homophobia. Some people can get really good at "guilt trips", and you have to call the hypocrisy as you see it. Also, don't feel you have to wait for them to come around to full acceptance. If they are slow, let them be slow, but try to focus on your own life and what is under your control. Unfortunately, as long as you live in your parents' house, you live by [some of] their rules, and so try to always focus on a plan to move out and be truly independent.

13. CharacterStudy

Well done, and I'm sorry for the hard time you're having and the reaction.

The fact that your dad has tried -only a little, sure - is still a positive sign. Remember you've had probably years to come to terms with this, and your dad clearly didn't have a clue and has had only a couple of months. He has to go through some of the same stages of acceptance that you did. Give him time, but don't hang around waiting for his acceptance. You have the right to live your life.

I saw a lovely youtube video, think it was at a wedding between 2 guys and one guy's minister father stood up to do his speech, and explained how he'd been completely homophobic when his son first came out, really angry and hurtful, and how over time he had accepted it and now fully supporting his son and son-in-law. It's rather sweet and might give you a bit of hope.