1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do about my conservative friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PennyT, Jan 27, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Halfway through my high school career, I left a sort of conservative town. I am still friends with two of my old high school friends. We snapchat from time to time and sometimes text. We meet up about twice a year now.

I just realized a few days ago that I'm probably gay, and I don't know if I should stay in contact with them. They do not believe that gay people should be sexually active. It is something we sometimes argue about. I am about 90% sure that if I told them I was gay, they would not react well. I remember I once got into a mini-fight with them when I said I never wanted to have children. They could not comprehend the idea of not wanting children, and they came off as a little patronizing. I don't think they'd be mean to me if I came out to them. It'd just be extremely awkward. One of them apparently knows some gay people who do not engage in sexual practices - is there a better way to put that? - and are perfectly happy Catholics, so I'd probably get the "It's okay you're this way. Just don't act on it." talk, which I think would make me uncomfortable.

If I did come out to them, which I definitely won't do until I have my head wrapped around my sexuality, I'm not sure how to. I know that that's a year or two, if not more, down the road, but I am kind of freaking out about it now. Help.

Also, I don't know how to interact with them now. The gay marriage topic comes up a lot, for whatever reason, and sometimes I get overly passionate, and I don't really want to blurt out something like, "why should your opinions dictate my marriage?" and accidentally out myself. Because that would be awkward. And then they'd probably tell my parents, and I kind of want to be the one to tell my parents (in about twenty years).

So what should I do? I really like them when we aren't talking rights. They're slowly warming up to the idea of things like birth control, pre-marital sex, and feminism - slowly but surely - and I think that if I gave them about thirty years, they'd be fine with it. But that's a long time to wait.

2. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thirty years is surely a long time.
    As they are very conservative, it's best not to come out to them It sucks I know. There are many of my friends with whom I've literally fought on LGBTQ issues. And since you think you'll be sure about your sexuality in a couple years, it's best to wait.
    As for the arguments, try not to be very defensive. Sooner or later you'll face the question,"Why do you care?! Why are you defending them?", it's a very awkward situation, believe me.
    When such topics come up, walk out, breathe and try not to be very defensive.
    This sucks. I have to listen to homophobic comments by some friends whom I'm no longer close to. But I stay quiet. It's better than accidentally outing myself.

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate it how people mistake conservatism with bigotry. You've got these 'mainstream' Republicans like Rick Santorum standing on soap boxes preaching about how we need to limit gay rights and whatnot-- just the opposite of true conservatism. A true conservative would see gay rights as an opportunity to capitalize on gay marriages and ceremonies.

Your friends aren't true conservatives, they're simply bigoted idiots pretending to be Ronald Reagan. And even that's not completely true, Ronald Reagan had several gay people in his cabinet, his speech writer was openly homosexual, I believe. You may want to confront them, without coming out, saying "You know, guys-- you're missing the point, there's lots of conservative opportunities to be had with the gay community, like the regulation of gay themed condoms and licensing for gay bars." A true conservative would see money in the gay community and embrace it, nurture it, even as it's good for the economy in so many ways.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, if you are prepared to severe ties with them here is what I suggest. Write them a letter. Thank them for all the years that you have been friends and that you wish it continued that way. Tell them you are gay and you are not going to pretend otherwise or try to abstain from sex or relationships because it is your life and you have right to happiness. If they are unable to deal with that you understand it won't hold grudge. Best regards, you.

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's best to severe ties with them, like what Euler said. There's other friends everywhere.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it may or may not take thirty years, but if you're uncomfortable around them now, then listen to those feelings. If the topic is going to come up, then it's going to come up.

The key here is going to be whether or not each of you is willing to meet in the middle. There's no reason that you should have to be the only one to budge at all - carrying the weight of "keeping the peace" is just another way of saying it's a lopsided friendship, but on the other hand, expecting them to instantly change their opinions probably isn't realistic either.

For now, they're feeling free to state their opinions on subjects, and so should you :slight_smile: (you can justify your opinions however you want to - you've had different experiences since leaving town, so it's understandable that you might see the world in a different way). When and if you feel ready to come out to them, you can negotiate that question then. In the meantime, as long as there are no double standards and they allow you to voice your own thoughts, then enjoy the good company for what it is.

Of course, if they're actively shutting you down when you voice support for the ideas, that would be a different issue perhaps. But I get the impression you haven't done so yet?