1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken hearted

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by VirginieDD, Jan 28, 2016.

1. VirginieDD

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone (I am new here)

I am having a hard hard time dealing with my break up. My "bicurious" girlfriend broke my heart 3 months ago (we were together for almost a year) since she was not attracted to me anymore and was fed up with the stress of the relationship. She is now dating a guy. Anyone already dated someone "straight"? I swear I won't ever again. Being left for the opposite sex is gut-wrenching and worse. I cannot deal with the betrayal.

2. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's awful. I'm so sorry. I wish I had some advice or answers for you, but I am pretty bad with relationships. I have never kissed anyone, which is very sad for a 17 year old girl, and the only date I have ever been on was with someone who only really saw me as a friend.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's sad that you are willing to rule out all bisexual/pan girls and reduce extensively your dating pool because we experience some opposite-sex attraction.

I understand that a break-up is hard and upsetting but would like to point a few things out to you and try and show you your own story in a different light. :slight_smile:

You say you are hurt because she left you for the opposite sex but she did not . She broke up with you because (from what you said) she was not attracted to you anymore and because the relationship stressed her out, this has nothing to do with her attraction to the opposite sex but all to do with your relationship and the fact that it wasn't fulfilling for her.
    It's probably hard to grasp and it's probably very hurtful if you didn't/don't feel the same way and I can see how it would be easy to feel as if you've been dumped for the opposite sex because she now happens to date a guy but the gender of her new partner is irrelevant.

She broke up with you for the reason stated above and had she been a lesbian she probably would have done the same because 'lack of attraction' and not feeling 'happy' in the relationship are two very good and legitimate reasons to break up with someone.

She also didn't betray you. You said she was bi-curious. She didn't seem to have sworn to you she was a lesbian and exclusively into women and seemed to have been pretty honest about the fact that she was bi-curious and wanted to experiment.
    Bi-curious is VERY different to bi-sexual as it basically means that she was in a questioning phase of her life where she wanted to taste the waters and you apparently seemed to have been okay with that (when you first met/got together) forgetting that it meant that she didn't know where she stood in the spectrum. It also means you took the chance on her waking up one morning and realizing that ''nah, it was fun to experiment and stuff but I am straight'' kind of thing. It's upsetting and It doesn't make it any less hurtful and devastating for you, I am well aware, but she seemed to have been upfront with you about where she stood on the spectrum and also about why she wanted to break up. It's stings but I would try and let it go and not close myself to other wonderful stories and other member of the community because of that one painful break up.

Good luck though and I promise we aren't all terrible ! :wink:

#3 Lin1, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello and welcome to EC! I'm not going to repeat the wonderful comments others have already posted but this caught my eye.

Even if she had left you for opposite sex I find it curious that your find that somehow extra bad. This has not happened to me but I would imagine that it would be emotionally easier for me to be dumped because of my sex. After all that's way more impersonal reason than me being a person they don't like or love anymore.

I have a (presumably straight) friend to whom I have very confused emotions. I sure love him in someway but it's unclear to me is that romantic or familial love. Anyways, I have never felt jealous of his girl friends even if they do couple's stuff in front of me but if he seems to have a new close male friend I have this uncomfortable feeling in my guts.

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry, I'm here if you want to talk.