1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the "straight" bestfriend dilemma . please help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknownjourney, Feb 1, 2016.

1. unknownjourney

WARNING: THIS POST IS VEEEERY LONG
    ..but I would appreciate it if you would help me figure out this situation and trust me this won't be boring

Here it is. So a month and a half ago , I went travelling with a bunch of fellow Aussies to America. It was the best time ever and I wouldn't have it any other way. During the trip , I met a guy who eventually became my bestfriend and a life long friend. The first time I met him I was a bit intimidated but nonetheless I got to know him better after a couple of days when I sat next to him in the bus.

In just a matter of a week , we became really good friends . We did everything together , we ate dinner and went out to the pubs and dance together later at the clubs. We even started fighting and ignoring each other within the first week. A while ago though before we hung out he told me the reason he was travelling its because he is heartbroken as his 4 year relationship just freshly ended with the girl whom he thought he would marry. I was fine with it but as a you know as a gay young man you get that "too bad he's straight" thought once or twice. I got over it and it was good because I looked at him as just a good friend . Oh and I forgot to add , he found out I was gay when we were playing truth or drink kind of game , it was very awkward but the next few days he started to talk to me more.

As the trip approaches halfway till it ends , we were the bestest friends . He would text me all the time and vice versa. It clicked to me that something might be happening , when we would go dancing ( already tipsy ) we would always dance to "our song" and hold hands , be touchy , stroking his/my face and putting his arms around my hips and sometimes he thrusts ( weird , I know ) . I kept thinking he was just a friendly and careless straight guy as I have this bad habit of falling waaayy too easy so I tried to keep my distance; also during the trip he hooked up with a few girls which left me kinda sad but got over it pretty quick as I am a lot more detached now compared to my past self.

Out of the blue , a few people from the group I travelled with came up to me and asked
    what's going on with me and Bob ( lets call him Bob lol ) . Bob is also friends with them and they told me that whenever Bob goes with them; all he talks about is ME. I was flattered yet I was in denial as I thought he was straight (I still do ) . I told them that he is straight and he is just an aloof crazy guy and well they beg to differ. They told me how we fight and be friends again in a couple of hours makes us seem like a couple.

A lot of things happened as we get closer to the end of our travelling , there are random times where he would hug me and jokingly hold my hand in public and say "lets be F*****s together " . He would start paying for my food and even my accommodation (I'll get to that later) he would text me at the most random time and just talk to me ; also whenever he thinks about his ex he talks to me. I can't say I don't like him as he was the best friend I never had , I was myself the whole time. I am me and I don't have to pretend to be someone else when I am with him. I am at the most genuine version of myself. I was the happiest ever.

We only had 1 day left till we say goodbye to each other and to my other fellow aussies , he paid for my accomodation in NY as I lost my card . We got to the hotel only to find out that the system was stuffed so we had to share a bed together ...
    It was fine but before we went to bed , I brought him to go sightseeing and catch up with a friend from NY which didn't end well . He left and told me that he doesn't like it and he feels awkward around me and her.
    Fast forward , we both got back to the hotel . He is in bed already and I'm hanging around in the lobby as the wifi signal is strong there. He messaged me asking if we can go to sleep , so I did.

I suddenly woke up at around 2am in the morning , I felt his feet and legs brushing against mine.. I quite liked the feeling so I went along with it. It could be that he is asleep and didn't realize it was me but he woke up 30 minutes later and went to the toilet. I pretended to be asleep haha. The morning after we cuddled , and shortly left to go get breakfast. I don't wanna sound obsessive or overthinking but I felt like I had a glimpse of what its like being in a relationship . We did everything and it scared me as I never felt these feelings before. I have a best girl friend and we do everything together but nothing quite like this.

He had to leave later on to go to Europe and we gave each other the biggest hug and it was very devastating to see him go. I started to like him which was bad.

Fast forward , we are both back in Australia now. We sent each other photos , selfies , videos and all sorts of things we find interesting. We even facetime (video call) . We literally talk everyday, he says things like " I miss you" and all that. I say the same things but he is a more intimate and I am a bit more restrained since I dont wanna freak him out.Last night , I tried to send something a little over the border but not too in your face. I told him that I miss him and I wish I could cuddle with him followed by I was joking.

For once , he didn't text me for a day. the next day after that message . I was very down until a few hours ago , he told me He is on a ****** date with this girl and it hurts to hear that. He then told me that he misses me , and I am the best friend he never had. He told me that he seriously wants me to live with him. He said there is no room left as other people rented it in his apartment but he would be happy to share a bed with me.

I am so confused and just stressed. I am going to see him in April so hopefully I can clear up some things and finally move on . Can I also just add , a while ago .. he sent me a pic of his D*** . I was shocked but then he told me to show it to my girl friends . he was saying If I wanna be best friends we have to be comfortable with each other. I'm not sure if that exactly the reason or he just wanted to send that picture. Anyways , please guys help me.
    I am sick of falling for straight guys and hopefully this is something different. I would appreciate it if you share some of you're opinions. thank youuu :icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

#1 unknownjourney, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. CharacterStudy

Sounds like he's bi, or confused, or curious but I am really no expert. It sounds quite intense, and close, and maybe like he was hoping something might happen, but he didn't want to be too obvious/initiate. Of course, trips like that do sort of speed up intimacy and I've had a similar thing myself.

When you sent the 'only joking' message, and he didn't respond as usual and then mentioned this girl date - I wondered if he was hurt and putting distance between you; maybe he saw this as something more and your text has made it look like it's a joke to you.

On the other hand it could be that your cuddle comment made him reassess what has happened between you and he got concerned you were into him, and he isn't in to you. BUT then he followed it up with 'share a bed' etc.

Overall it sounds to me like he's interested, I hope he is. Can you see him any earlier, or invite him to see you? Be cautious though as it doesn't sounds like he's out.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow. That was quite a story and quite frankly I don't know what to think of it.

First thing that strikes me is that things seemed to escalate pretty quickly. I mean after just a few weeks you are BFF which is quite unusual. My personal experience is that the kind of behavior your friend displays is usually a sign of some sort of emotional problems. This is not an expert or scientific opinion but this is the case with all the people who became very close friends to me very quickly (n=5). Now if this is indeed the case with your friend then all the signs that he display could very well be explained away by this. Having said that about half of those friends have turned out to be gay by this day and the rest are still on my WTF-is-going-on -list.

Wait what, you said you cuddled in the morning? Was this the first time? Who initiated it and did he seem to be actively on board on that? To me there are only two options. Either he is closeted and into you or then he is just a straight guy who wants emotional and physical closeness and nothing more. Since he knows you are gay he might feel comfortable to do those things with you because he feels no fear of being labeled as gay and getting a hostile reaction.

I suggest you try to figure out his family background. If there is abuse, neglect or other emotional dysfunction that could suggest he just needs hugs. If there is nothing wrong in there then I would think he is probably in the closet. Ultimately you know for sure only if you ask him. If you are truly such good friends then this should not affect your relationship. It might not be the best idea to tell him you have feelings for him but you could tell him that for your emotional well-being it is important to know for sure is he interested in you or not. This way you could prevent forming emotions when he cannot be expected to reciprocate.

4. unknownjourney

Yes , he initiates mostly everything including that cuddle. I don't text him, he texts me. Im just paranoid now of getting hurt .. But who knows?Im going to his city to see my cousins and he happens to live there too and Im staying at his apartment because he wants me to . Im just not sure what is going on hmm

5. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This must seem very confusing. From what you've described, I have a strong feeling that he is one of the many confused straight men who doesn't exactly know what he wants.

Typically, these guys will initiate intimacy and push the boundary but once it is reciprocated, they will recoil immediately, and then the cycle continues. Usually they are completely unaware of their actions. The fact that he didn't message you back after you joked about wanting to cuddle, and how he brought up women seems to me as typical overcompensation. I mean, sending you pictures of his penis and asking you to move in with him in the same bed is just ridiculous. He is even doing this knowing that you are gay.

Often times, these situations will lead to a confrontation, since neither one can really distance themselves. I know the intimacy you share is very powerful and addictive, but if you can, I'd suggest cooling it with him. It seems like he is pretty confused and pursuing him romantically would probably become an excruciatingly frustrating and painful experience. If you can't just let this go, then maybe you'd have to eventually confront him, ask him what's going on. He will most likely deny everything, but hopefully the conversations you will have with him will give you enough insight for you to move on, or there is always the hope that he will become more aware of his affections for you, but that seems quite unlikely.

I'm sorry to come across as if I know everything about this situation, because I clearly don't. I could be completely wrong in this particular case, but I'm just sharing with you my observations of a general case that's similar to yours.

6. unknownjourney

Yes , I know what you mean :icon_sad: I've been thinking about letting him go but he always pop out during my down times ugh:tears:

Yeaterday he kept texting me saying 'im lonely , whats up'; we talked for a bit but I had to go work . I asked him about girl he went on a ****** date , he said he dropped her off . I asked why he isnt texting her and he said he doesnt know what to say and he's too lazy . At this point I was asking myself , why isnt he lazy to talk to me ?
    He also asks me a lot of questions like have i ever done anything with guys and pretty much very gay questions . Ive been involved in countless straight boy dramas but this is different . Hmm I dont wanna confront him because I have a feeling this is the first time he is exploring his sexuality . I could be wrong

7. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Of course, it must be hard. I know you don't want to confront him, but if things go on like this, I think eventually there will come a point where you will feel the need to. He may be exploring his sexuality (although i wouldn't even call it that, because he's probably not even aware that this has anything to do with sexuality), but he is doing that at the expense of your emotions, and it will take a toll on you as it continues. I'm afraid one way or another, things will have to change in the future. The most drama free option is to distance yourself now, but I know that can be hard. Waiting until later until you explode can be very stressful as well. If he really is your best friend, then you two should be able to discuss this like adults, in my opinion. He should be mature enough to know that there are boundaries and his actions are definitely leading you on. I hope you can talk to him about it before this eats you up emotionally, but I know, easier said than done. Good luck.

8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I have noticed over the years is it doesn't really matter what people say but how they say and frame it. Even nice things said in a wrong way or poorly framed can provoke huge fights and tears while not-so-nice things can be very well received when framed in a thoughtful way.

I don't actually think talking is the best way to approach as in a conversation people have only seconds to respond and if you catch them unprepared the result might be immature backslash. It could be better to write an email or letter. You could start the letter by telling him that he is an important and close friend and that for this reason you feel the need to clarify a few things with him. First ask him if he realizes that the kind of friendship you have is highly unusual and that in most cases this kind of relationship is indicative of romantic interest. Tell him that you don't think that his actions are anything but friendly although if he feels different he should tell you. Your feelings towards him now are friendly, however, since you are gay getting emotionally and physically close to another guy in a way that you guys now are for an extended period of time might cause you start feeling differently about him unless you know for sure that his actions are nothing but friendly. So to make sure that there is no mismatch of emotions and hopes you feel you need to have some answers about his behavior.

I think if you write him a letter you allow him some time to think about the response and when framed in this way you don't accuse him of anything but communicate to him the kind of problems his behavior might cause to you. Feel free to add concrete examples such as sharing a bed and other physical signs of affection.

9. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think Euler's template is great, and writing an email is probably better at this point than talking, especially since you two don't live in the same city. I think in the end of the email, I would also add that if he only feels friendly towards you, then his behavior has to correspond to it and heavy flirting has to stop on both sides.

10. unknownjourney

Thank you so much guys , you all make me feel better. Maybe I'll wait for a bit before I send the email. What I can do I reckon in the meantime is go with the flow whilst putting my feelings aside (try to get over him ) ..
    I really am sick of being in this kind of drama , always happens to me. At the same time though , my gut tells me something so I might hold on to that ; without making a big deal.
    I am also practicing writing a message to be sent to him. Still feeling down , it sucks. I really thought 'finally' but maybe not yet.

11. AlmostBlue

AlmostBlue Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I feel you, I'm sorry it seems like things like this always happens to you, but I think this happens to a lot of us and not just you. It's inevitable that some people become confused in this still homophobic society. I can see why you'd feel "finally", since he was so intimate with you, but when a real relationship happens, it's usually a lot more straight forward and smoother than this. You won't have to guess and play games and get hurt before even starting a relationship like this. If you can put your feelings for him aside and start spending time doing things you love and meeting new people, I think it would be the best. Feel free to let us know if you ever decide to write the email.

12. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what to say, but I'm here if you want to talk.