1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Do This?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BookWriter1994, Feb 2, 2016.

1. BookWriter1994

You may not know this, but I am actually pretty shy. After a month or two, I will open up to people. That's just how I am.

I really want to start talking to women in real life besides online but I'm shy and I always back out at the last minute.

Like today, I saw a really cute woman today at the mall. She was wearing all black and her hair was slick back and it was so damn hot. She was checking out at Spencer's and I wanted so bad just to say at least hi to her but I chicken out!

How do I overcome this?

How do I not be afraid of talking to women offline?

2. Cort

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think what you need to do is practice in a safe environment.

It might be too big of a leap to go from chatting with people online to hanging out at the local gay bar – an environment like that is really intimidating.

Do you have any specific hobbies or sports that you enjoy doing? If so, chances are good that you can find a social club related to that hobby nearby where people with similar interests get together.

Social clubs built around hobbies tend to be really laid back, casual, and welcoming. You’re surrounded by others that share a similar interest. It’s the perfect environment to get more comfortable with talking to people offline.

If you practice in an environment like a social club for long enough, you’ll likely find that the fear of talking to women offline will diminish significantly. The only way to get over the fear is to expose yourself to it. Start small and build up.

3. BookWriter1994

I did in fact went to a new gay club that opened in my city. The thing is, the lesbians there were much older than me like they were all in their 30s and I am only 22!

I love reading, going to the movies, eating out when I can, and going to the mall

4. WanderingMind

Does the area you live in have designated dog parks? Walk your dog there. Let him play with other dogs. Dog owners hang around forEVER and talk about nothing while their dogs wrestle. Make eye contact, ask a question about her dog. It's a great place to get forced out of your comfort zone.

Maybe the simple act of talking with others will help you build confidence so that when it does matter, and there's someone you *want* to talk to, you can find the words.

#4 WanderingMind, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016