1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I ask her out on Valentine's Day?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 9, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's this pan girl I met at a local LGBT youth club a few weeks ago. Ever since meeting, we've realized we have a lot in common and have been texting almost nonstop. We talk about everything and have many shared interests.
    Well, today, she broke up with her long term boyfriend. She had been wanting to do it for a long time because she just didn't like him as much as he liked her. He took the breakup well and they are still friends.

I really like this girl. I want to ask her out on Valentine's Day, but I'm terrified of rejection. I've never actually dated anyone before and have only been hurt in these situations before. Also, is it too soon to ask her out if she just broke up with her boyfriend, even if she's been meaning to do it for a while?

Advice very, very much needed.

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much dating experience myself and I know that rejection is not a good feeling. Someone the other day gave me a good piece of advice the other day: no matter how dire is the outcome, you will grow and learn about yourself from it.
    Your question is sort of tough because to me it is kind of soon. If it wasn't so soon, I would say go for it without question. If you did ask her she might say that she needs more time before she wants to get involved with someone else. Maybe if you wait a couple of days and then approach it by asking her if she would consider going out with you in the near future? That way you can kind of see where she is at?

3. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I don't know about her but to me it wouldn't seem a little soon after a breakup. Just a little.

Maybe it won't be a big issue for her because it's not one of those situations that she felt like she had to break up for whatever reason even if she was still into him. Especially if she likes you back.

You should weigh out the pros and cons of asking her out. What do you have to lose by asking her out? By not asking her out? What would gain by asking or not asking?

I don't have much experience in the dating world either, hopely I was able to help.

4. Really

I think you should ask her out but as she may not be ready for an actual date date, why don't you present it as a "mock Valentine's" date. Tell her you'd like the two of you to do a bunch of cheesy date stuff and have yourselves a blast. Maybe have some ideas ready so you can tell her some of the crazy stuff you think will be fun.

You could even present her with a ridiculously over-sized heart card to start the whole thing off.
    Roses are red, Violets are blue, Is this card too big? I haven't a clue.

Take the pressure off both of you for it being a real date. Just have some goofy fun to "mock" all the real Valentine's couples.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I might hold off a little while and see what happens. It probably is too soon. Thanks for the advice, everyone!